Thread: ASP.Net to C# Desktop Communication?

Hybrid View

Fanatic Member

ASP.Net to C# Desktop Communication?

I am developing a two part software. One of which is a web site, the other is software.

What is a "simple" way of making say a ASP.Net page sending a command that the desktop software will get and do its thing?

I could do a database, and have the commands setup in a "queue", but i was curious if there was another way?

Thank you.

Re: ASP.Net to C# Desktop Communication?

Can you provide some more detail regarding what you're actually trying to achieve? Is this desktop app on the client or server?

Fanatic Member

I apologize, this will all be ran on a server, so it's local host web talking to say a local desktop app.

You wouldn't have a GUI app running on a web server. You could have Windows service running and communicate with using your preferred RPC method. You could also have the web app start up a Console app in a new process. That may not be allowed by your average web host but if it's your own server then you're OK. You might also do work in the web app in secondary threads, although that may be frowned on if they run too long.

Fanatic Member

It would be my own server, a gui is being made, but more so for it to communicate with a service.

The asp would tell the service what to do, the guy would also tell it what to do.

The
    More I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a database, with a queue, as I'd hate to have the service try and load 50 apps at the same time, but would rather it load 1,check it, continue to next....

So never mind on my request.