Thread: [RESOLVED] Runtime Error 5: Help!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Runtime Error 5: Help!

Hello All,

I have the following piece of code that generates a runtime error 5: invalid call or argument error
    Code:
    Dim f as double
    chMExpHg.Column = 2
    For Z = 1 To (txtMExpT.Text * 60 / txtMExpRef.Text) + 1
        chMExpHg.Row = Z

f = (txtMExpr0.Text * ((txtMExpA.Text * Exp(-0.693 * (Z - 1) * txtMExpRef.Text / 60 / txtMExpTd1.Text)) _
            + ((1 - txtMExpA.Text) * Exp(-0.693 * (Z - 1) * txtMExpRef.Text / 60 / txtMExpTd2.Text)) _
            - (txtMExpB.Text * Exp(-0.693 * (Z - 1) * txtMExpRef.Text / 60 / txtMExpTi.Text)))) / pos_radiation(position)

chMExpHg.Data = -Log(f) / 0.122

Next Z

The error is generated on the line where the log of f is taken. I've been troubleshooting for quite some time and cannot find a solution.
    I've printed out f during runtime and none of its values are negative or 0. Its first value is 0.0167 and the error is thrown on the first iteration of my loop.
    Additionally, the error only occurs when the equation that sets f includes the part that starts with txtMExpB.Text is included (the user can enter either 0 or 1 into this textbox for this purpose at runtime).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Runtime Error 5: Help!

this is probably your issue: -Log

try changing it to this:
    chMExpHg.Data = (0-Log(f)) / 0.122

since what you want is the negative log value, that should give you the desired results.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagles555 View Post
    ...the error only occurs when the equation that sets f includes the part that starts with txtMExpB.Text is included (the user can enter either 0 or 1 into this textbox for this purpose at runtime)….
    Probably not a solution to your problem but instead of forcing the user to enter 0 or 1 in the textbox and, I assume, having to validate the data entered, why not instead use a pair of radio buttons or even a combobox?

Thank you for both of your responses! I found the problem. A bunch of the textboxes were named improperly so the data I was reading out to troubleshoot was incorrect. I was actually feeding a 0 to the log function.

Thanks again!