dcsimg

Thread: Progress Bar Help

Progress Bar Help

Ive made a progress bar which does work but it finishs before my cmd command, How do i time it right???

Code:
    Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click
            Shell("cmd /c" & "Del ""Z:\Windows 7\$oem$\$$\Install\FirstLogOn\Anti-Virus Updates\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Backup.exe"" & ROBOCOPY ""%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"" ""Z:\Windows 7\$oem$\$$\Install\FirstLogOn\Anti-Virus Updates\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware"" /E /IS & ""C:\Program Files\WinRAR\rar.exe"" u -ep1 -r0 -z""Z:\Windows 7\$oem$\$$\Install\FirstLogOn\Anti-Virus Updates\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\info.txt"" -sfx ""Z:\Windows 7\$oem$\$$\Install\FirstLogOn\Anti-Virus Updates\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Backup.rar"" ""Z:\Windows 7\$oem$\$$\Install\FirstLogOn\Anti-Virus Updates\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\""")
            Timer1.Start()
        End Sub
    Code:
    Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            ProgressBar1.Increment(1)
            If ProgressBar1.Value = ProgressBar1.Maximum Then

End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Thanks,

Re: Progress Bar Help

the problem is, there's no way to measure your process + set the progressbar accurately.

have a look at:

Process Class

in particular the Start method + the StandardOutput property

Yea i see what you mean about you cant measure it.

i could time how long the cmd takes to finish and add the seconds to the timer bar?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyknowz View Post
    Yea i see what you mean about you cant measure it.

i could time how long the cmd takes to finish and add the seconds to the timer bar?
    Thanks,
    Just because it takes a particular amount of time on one occasion doesn't mean that it will take that much time on any other occasion.

The appropriate thing to do in this scenario is to simply set the Style to Marquee, which produces what is sometimes called a "never-ending" progress bar or the like. You will have seen it yourself on many occasions. That will indicate to the user that something is happening without having to specify how far along that something is.

Fanatic Member

Or you can use an infinite loop.

You basically do a 1 / X function to move on until the infinite.

Code:
    Private prog As Double
    Private endprog As Integer

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            prog += 0.05
            ProgressBar1.Value = endprog - (1 / prog)
        End Sub
    End Class
    You basically subtract an infinitely smaller number. This works for a certain time, but at some time it will halt. (subtract values < 0,5)
    Set the prog and endprog accordingly to move from one percentage to the other. You can adjust the speed with the increment of prog.