Thread: Resolved: VB2005, how to refresh labels/textboxes

Resolved Resolved: VB2005, how to refresh labels/textboxes

Hi.

I remember that in VB5 there was an "auto-redraw" property that needed to be turned on in order to make certain features refresh themselves. I'm having trouble with getting labels and text boxes to change in VB2005.

A sample code snip would be
    Code:
    Label1.text = "Zero"
    Sleep (1000)
    Label1.text = "One"
    Sleep (1000)
    Label1.text = "Two"
    Sleep (1000)
    Label1.text = "Five"
    EndSub
    Which should make Label1.text count upwards at one-second intervals.

When I run the code, however, Label1.text shows "Zero" for five seconds, then says "Five" when the subroutine ends. How can I make the label refresh after each change?

If I use a textbox instead of a label, the same thing happens.

(this uses the API call "Sleep" to insert a pause, declaration not shown here)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Og_ofthejungle; Jul 12th, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Resolved.

Re: VB2005, how to refresh labels/textboxes

the sleep code stops all code processing in that thread + also stops windows messages being processed.
    try this:

vb Code:
    1. Label1.text = "Zero"
    2. label1.invalidate
    3. Sleep (1000)
    4. Label1.text = "One"
    5. label1.invalidate
    6. Sleep (1000)
    7. Label1.text = "Two"
    8. label1.invalidate
    9. Sleep (1000)
    10. ...
    11. Label1.text = "Five"
    12. label1.invalidate

instead of the API, there's a .Net method:

vb Code:
    1. threading.thread.sleep(millisecondsTimeout as integer)

Interesting. Thanks, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    instead of the API, there's a .Net method:

vb Code:
    1. threading.thread.sleep(millisecondsTimeout as integer)
    Thanks, I finally settled on the "Sleep" method after trying a few tricks for "do while loop" and "for i, next i" but had trouble getting the timing right.

I'll give this a try.

Okay, I tried both of those tricks, the label1.invalidate and the thread.threading.sleep() (one at a time). I also played with the label1.show().

The code still executes the same way: A long pause, and then the last text shown. I'm starting to think that I'll have to have the user step through the code using multiple "next" buttons, which would be much less elegant.

Any other suggestions or thoughts on this?

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Label1.Text = "One"
            'Label1.Invalidate()
            Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000)
            'Label1.Show()
            Label1.Text = "two"
            'Label1.Invalidate()
            'Label1.Show()
            Label1.Text = "three"
            'Label1.Invalidate()
            'Label1.Show()
            Label1.Text = "Four"
            'Label1.Invalidate()
            'Label1.Show()
            'Threading.Thread.Sleep(1000)
            'Label1.Show()
            'Label1.Text = "Five"
            'Label1.Show()
        End Sub

So why not use the appropriate way for what you need to do?

You need your label to show something at one second interval. So a timer is more appropriate in this case.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    2.         If Not Timer1.Enabled Then
    3.             Timer1.Interval = 1000
    4.             Timer1.Enabled = True
    5.         End If
    6.     End Sub
    8.     Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
    9.         Static counter As Integer = 0
    10.         counter += 1
    11.         Label1.Text = Choose(counter, "one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight", "nine", "ten")
    12.         If counter >= 10 Then counter = 0: Timer1.Enabled = False '' or whatever way you want it to stop
    13.     End Sub
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jul 11th, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

If what you posted was just an example to show that you mean "some long running process" then you should consider Threading. Don't run your process on the UI thread in such cases. Instead you should run it on a different thread so that the UI thread is free to do what it is meant for (i.e. maintaining proper UI). You can consider the BackgroundWorker control in such cases or create threads using System.Threading.Thread classes.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Frenzied Member

Resolved Re: VB2005, how to refresh labels/textboxes

Whilst I would encourage you to listen to the advice above, if you are just coding something quickly for yourself (or lazy like me ) you could always do it like:

Code:
            Label1.Text = "One"
            Label1.Refresh()
            '..etc....
            '.........
    'or even.....
            Label1.Text = "One"
            Application.DoEvents()
            '..etc....
            '.........

Hmmmmm

Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Dim stpw As New Stopwatch

Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Shown
            Timer1.Interval = 100
            Timer1.Start()
            Button2.PerformClick()
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            'start
            Button1.Enabled = False
            Button2.Enabled = True
            stpw.Restart()
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            'stop
            Button1.Enabled = True
            Button2.Enabled = False
            stpw.Stop()
        End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            If stpw.IsRunning Then
                Label1.Text = stpw.Elapsed.TotalSeconds.ToString("n0")
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    @pradeep - I think we both know that using the timer to keep track of time is not a good idea.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein