Thread: [RESOLVED] StringBuilder

Resolved [RESOLVED] StringBuilder

Is it just me? I do not understand why StringBuilder doesn't have an IndexOf and String does.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Addicted Member

Re: StringBuilder

I believe that may be because stringbuilder is a class to deal with some strings in more efficient ways than string does, and since strings are array of chars that may be why they have a IndexOf method.

your stringbuilder.tostring will.
    StringBuilder isn't a string class... it's its own entity... it manages the string internally in a way that allows it to create and manipulate strings to avoid the memory issues associated with strings being immutable. The string itself isn't actually created until you call .ToString.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    We don't typically support many operations on StringBuildes, since we expect them to be fairly short-lived objects, that ultimately get turned into strings, and major operations performed upon those. Feel free to ping me directly if you have a particular reason why you're wanting to index on them!
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualS...-stringbuilder
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

It is closed and that is lame. I think it says we created stringbuilder and also expect you to use it like we intended, which we aren't going to document.

Let me put it this way; would the world of strings be better if stringbuilder had IndexOf?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

I think all they meant to say is that developing such functions on StringBuilder is not so easy. So they have left it out (maybe for the time being), since the alternative of using String is already there.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...