Thread: [RESOLVED] Custom Laptop Provider

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Custom Laptop Provider

Hello,

Can anyone provide some recommendations for a website/company that allows me to customize a laptop online (or perhaps on the phone) and then purchase it?

Dell provides the user with an option to customize most of their stock models however, in the past, I have had some issues with Dell's quality. In addition I would not like the following brands: HP, Compaq, Asus, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, Apple. I live in Canada but I can ship it from the U.S..

Re: Custom Laptop Provider

I see that you don't like most of the major brands out there... Try Lenovo. It's not on your "don't like list" and they allow some customization on the web site.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Frenzied Member

Re: Custom Laptop Provider

Thank you, the website is perfect.

Re: [RESOLVED] Custom Laptop Provider

I have had major issues with Lenovo products. We purchase them for one of my clients. They are the worst machines I have ever dealt with. Personally, I prefer Dells. If you are open to it, I would give them another chance. Purchase a Latitude and you will be quite happy with the quality.
    Regards,

Matt Butler, MBA, BSIT/SE, MCBP
    Owner, Intense IT, LLC
    Find us on Facebook
    Follow us on Twitter
    Link up on LinkedIn
    mb (at) i2t.us

CODE BANK SUBMISSIONS: Converting Images to Base64 and Back Again

lenovo quality depends on when you bought them. They were rebranded ibms when they first started making them.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbutler755 View Post
    I have had major issues with Lenovo products. We purchase them for one of my clients. They are the worst machines I have ever dealt with. Personally, I prefer Dells. If you are open to it, I would give them another chance. Purchase a Latitude and you will be quite happy with the quality.
    One year ago I bought a Dell Studio 1537. Over the course of one year I had many many problems with the laptop. First the Screen broke. At the time I still had my warranty so I sent in my laptop for repair to Dell. Dell apparently outsources their computer repair to IBM. At the repair the screen was opened up to reconnect the wires which somehow came undone. In addition to fixing my screen (which was excellent) they (not intentionally of course) disconnected the wires for the internal webcam/microphone. Since that day (less than a year ago) the laptop kept on crashing due to physical damage to the graphics card. Just recently the two audio jacks for the headphones have stopped working (first the audio went choppy and now it simply does not work). Over the course of two weeks they stopped working, as when the first audio jack didn't work I was using the other one. In addition, the computer sometimes requires a reboot in order for the WiFi card to pickup a signal (my Android phone picks up a signal perfectly) anywhere I am. When there is a CD/DVD in the CD-ROM drive the laptop cannot be transported as the read/write corrupts. When playing back a video (probably due to the physically damaged graphics card) if the laptop is moved the computer crashes. Also recently the screen has been blanking when shut at certain angles. Also when I put my laptop to sleep and close the monitor there is a 50% chance that the monitor will remain on. This, after leaving the laptop shut for 3 hours+, overheats the computer and anything touching it.

On the plus side the Fingerprint scanner has always worked perfectly and I still use it today.

So that is why I do not like Dell and will never buy a Dell again.

P.S. When I called up Dell to try and get my laptop repaired after they sent it back ruining more of it they said my warranty was up and I had to pay.

i'm not a fan of the dell power supply setup. The plugs are weak and prone to wearing out, and the laptop knows if it's not a dell power supply thanks to an unreported voltage line of approx. 8 volts.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell