Thread: Easy Pluralization

Hybrid View

Stack Overflow mod​erator

Talking Easy Pluralization

It's always annoying to spend time working with ternary if statements and what not, or even (gasp) using a variable to pluralize things. Here's a snippet that makes it easier.

http://jsfiddle.net/minitech/PefYd/

You use it like so:
    Code:
    var str = "There {is|are} # apples. The #% apple looks nice to me.".plural(5);
    Which gives:

Code:
    "There are 5 apples. The 5th apple looks nice to me."
    # is replaced with the passed integer. % becomes st, nd, rd, or th. {x} becomes x if the number is plural, nothing otherwise. {x|y} becomes x if the number is singular, y if it is plural. More than 2 results in 1 being turned into the first one, 2 to the second one, 3 to the third one, etc. and all out of range values being turned into the last one.

Enjoy! Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by minitech; Jun 20th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Re: Easy Pluralization

Haven't looked at the code... but might need some more work as "There are 1 apples. The 1st apple looks nice to me." doesn't work either... specifically "There are 1 apples." ??? Even "There is 1 apples." doesn't work. I'm just saying. :P

Would it need to be done like this?
    var str = "There {is|are} # {apple|apples}. The #% apple looks nice to me.".plural(1);
    Would it work at that point?
    I will admit... that's pretty cool...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Oops, it's supposed to be apple{s} instead. Sorry.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

In what kind of program would I use this?

In any sort of page where you need pluralization. For example, on websites (like SourceForge) that say "Your download will start in 1 seconds". Using this, the "seconds" can turn into "second" at the right time.