Thread: [RESOLVED] How to Read DAT Files

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to Read DAT Files

Hi Guys,

We are in the process of upgrading a clients software. I'm not sure what database their existing app uses but in the db folder there are DAT and IDX files.

I need to find a way of reading those files so I can import the data across to the new database. Can someone please advise me on how I can go about this task. Thanks

Re: How to Read DAT Files

You can't really tell what the db is based on a file extension.

I could be using SQL Server the standard is mdf for the extension (also use ndf and ldf) but I can use pdf, sdf , zzz, dat as the extension it really means nothing.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

assuming they are default extenstions, they are dBase IV files... the .DAT ones are the actual data files (or tables) and the IDX files are the indexes... put them all in a folder... when you make a connection to them, connect to the FOLDER... then the names of the DAT files become the table names.
    in other words: Folder = DatabaseName; DAT Files = Table Name

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Found in the internet
    dBase:
    A major legacy of dBase is its .dbf file format, which has been adopted in a number of other applications.
    dBase uses .ndx files for single indexes, and .mdx (multiple-index) files for holding between 1 and 48 indexes. Some xBase languages include compatibility with .ndx files while others use different file formats such as .ntx used by Clipper and .idx/.cdx used by FoxPro or FlagShip. Later iterations of Clipper included drivers for .ndx, .mdx, .idx and .cdx indexes.
    .DAT
    Generic data file created by a specific application; typically accessed only by the application that created the file; may contain data in text or binary format; text-based DAT files can be viewed in a text editor.

Many programs create, open, or reference DAT files, including:
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    Corel WordPerfect
    Nero ShowTime
    Nullsoft Winamp
    SoftVelocity Clarion
    Ontrack EasyRecovery
    Runtime GetDataBack
    Pitney Bowes MapInfo
    .IDX
    Stores an index of files used by various programs; used by search functions to speed up searches; once a hard disk, directory of files, or database is indexed, the data can be searched and sorted more efficiently.
    JG

Hi Guys,

wow you guys really know your stuff. Techgnome I want to go with your advice. When you say connect, how do you mean? I prefer working with these in vb.net if possible. Can you show me how I can achieve this please

i tried creating a dsn in my odbc datatsource manager. I notice if I create a dbase one it looks for *.dbf;*.ndx;*.mdx files only. Will I be able to read the DAT files still?

Frenzied Member

Maybe the old application (the one you want to upgrade) has an Export option, to text, to excel or print to disk, etc... and from that output You could do a routine of data conversion

JG

Get a hex editor and open up the file in it. Usually the header information of the file will tell you what kind of file it is.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

hi abhijit,

thanks for that. unfortunately I just get abunch of 1's and 0's. nothing conclusive that i can work with

Frenzied Member

May You post/attach a smal .DAT file?

JG

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesh View Post
    hi abhijit,

thanks for that. unfortunately I just get abunch of 1's and 0's. nothing conclusive that i can work with
    Quote Originally Posted by jggtz View Post
    May You post/attach a smal .DAT file?

JG
    Seconded! Please post a .DAT file. If you find it easy, use dropbox to share the file.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'

sure. I've attached both a DAT and IDX File.
    Attached Files Attached Files

sure. I've attached both a DAT and IDX File.
    The IDX file appears to have a signature of DBASE or FoxPro system. The DAT file is still an unknown quantity at this point.

hi abhijit,

Also if you are ever in doubt about a file, you might want to check out this utility

wow, you are good. I think it is a DBASE database. The technician I spoke to said he vaguely remembers something about DBASE. IS there any way I can get the data of the DAT files? thanks again abhijit.

try changing the extension to dbf and see if that helps....if it doesn't, try putting it back to DAT and see if that does anything... or just try to connect to the DAT first, then change the extension if it doesn't work... what ever, try one, then the other.

when building the connection string, the database "name" is the path to the folder where the dbf file is... the table name is then the name of the dbf itself (w/o the extension).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hi Tg,

I tried your suggestions but renaming the files hasn't worked

bleh... I'm out of ideas... and you don't know what kind of database was being used by the system before?

-tg

no prob. Thanks for trying though. Unfortunately I have no idea what the database was

What about the source code of the original app.... is it possible that the connection string (or what ever was used to connect to it) could be in there?

-tg

Help you with what? If you have a question, post it in the appropriate forum section. If someone can then help you, they will.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by helpme2 View Post
    techgnome, can i talk with you at msn-skype or yahoo ,
    No...

i think you may have answer to my question and after we get solution i 'll type it in suitable thread
    Ummm... no, that's not how it works... you need to find the appropriate forum section for your question... given the question below, it probably belongs in the graphics section... you post the question and someone will then respond... either with an answer or more questions to help solve the problem. That's the way forums work.

can't i even message you here in your personal page
    I know that... I've had to turn it all off because of instances like this... I even say so in my signature... PM's are not condusive to the learning process...

i have aquestion realted to how to read black pixel positions(x,y) of the bitamp picture
    i.e. check certain (x,y) pixel if black or not
    by vb forum
    There... was that so hard... now copy what you wrote... go find the graphics section, and post a new thread in there with that as the question. I'll even tell you what to use for the subject line: "Need help getting pixel color" ... don't forget to also mention what version of VB you are using. It'll make a difference in the answer you get.

-tg

Hi Guys,

I got back to this yesterday and after googling for two hours I found something. My friend suggested I use vb6 for this task. So I googled "DAT Files vb6" I eventually found a forum suggesting it could be DBASE, FoxPro or DBISAM. Since I previously tried the first two I decided to google DBISAM.

I downloaded software called DBISAM Viewer. Tried it out and I was able to read the dat files. I gives me the table structure, the data in each table as well as enables me to do a sql dump of the data. It aint free though. Cost me 20 Euros but it's worth it considering all the time I spent on this previously. Now I can start importing the data across to the new database. thanks again everyone for your contributions

Re: [RESOLVED] How to Read DAT Files

hey hey! SCORE! Certainly sounds like it was 20Euros well spent! Small price to pay if you ask me.

-tg

Question Re: How to Read DAT Files

Hi Guys,

I got back to this yesterday and after googling for two hours I found something. My friend suggested I use vb6 for this task. So I googled "DAT Files vb6" I eventually found a forum suggesting it could be DBASE, FoxPro or DBISAM. Since I previously tried the first two I decided to google DBISAM.

I downloaded software called DBISAM Viewer. Tried it out and I was able to read the dat files. I gives me the table structure, the data in each table as well as enables me to do a sql dump of the data. It aint free though. Cost me 20 Euros but it's worth it considering all the time I spent on this previously. Now I can start importing the data across to the new database. thanks again everyone for your contributions
    Cool. DBISAM viewer seems like the way to go. How does it handle large files?

hey abhijit,

I will be getting the licence today so I can test large files. At the moment I can only read the 1st 100 records of each table with the trial version. I will post back as soon as I have some news

Hi
    i have too a DBISAM dat and idx file, what i cannot read. Can i ask about your dbisam viewer? I have only the limitationed version.
    Thanks your help