Thread: 10 Currently Active Users Out of 127,571 Members

10 Currently Active Users Out of 127,571 Members

I was just looking at the "Currently Active Users" for VBForums and it said 10 active members. It was 2:25 PM Pacific Standard time. 10 members out of 127,571 members is less than 0.01 % of the VBForums members. When you think that there are VBForums members all around the world there aren't really that many that actively use VBForums at any one time.

In the "Help me make improvements to the Photo Contest" thread, after I saw the post about mixing up the Lords I looked at the members that have "Lord" in their user name and I noticed that there is a large number but saw that a large percentage of those members posted just once or a very small number of times. Therefore 127,571 members is rather misleading.

Here's the first page of the members list.

http://www.vbforums.com/memberlist.p...name&order=asc

For me it displays 30 members. Out of those 30 members only 7 have posted more than 8 times. 5 have posted zero times. 5 have posted one time. 5 have posted 2 times. There are 15 others that have posted 3 to 8 times among those first 30 members.

On the second page of the members list there are 8 out of 30 that have posted more than 8 times so it looks like this sort of ratio is typical.

I'm sort of into statistics so this stuff interests me to a certain degree.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Re: 10 Currently Active Users Out of 127,571 Members

There are over 1300 pages (30 user per page) of members with 0 (counted) posts.

Those members are very post shy. They suffer from postphobia. Some of us Chit Chatters on the other hand are guilty of being postoholics.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

The Jones Diminishing Blog Law at work. It also applies to forums too.
    I don't live here any more.

I couldn't find a good definition for that law.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

most people sign up on a forum to ask a single question, and never return. Many others never post any question, and many others are bots that auto created an account at some point.

HowardForums is one of the larger forum communities (because if focuses on something pretty much everyone has, mobile phones). Currently they only have 351 members online out of nearly 1 million registered.

Quote Originally Posted by EntityX View Post
    In the "Help me make improvements to the Photo Contest" thread, after I saw the post about mixing up the Lords I looked at the members that have "Lord" in their user name and I noticed that there is a large number but saw that a large percentage of those members posted just once or a very small number of times. Therefore 127,571 members is rather misleading.
    I resemble this remark.

Edit: And I just made the horrific discovery that I'm the #6th most-posts person on the list. I did NOT expect that.

Edit 2: Nevermind. I didn't see that I had filtered for "L" only. Whew! #6 among "L"s only. 140 overall. All is right with the world again.
    Last edited by Lord_Rat; May 11th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

(Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    There are over 1300 pages (30 user per page) of members with 0 (counted) posts.
    I was just checking that out for myself and you're right. 1321 pages of people at 0 posts with 30 users per page. The last page has 2 users and the first has less than a full page of users at 0 posts so let's say 1319 full pages at 30 users per page is 1319 x 30 = 39,570 users. That means 31 % of the VBForums members have 0 posts.

There are also 700 pages of members at 1 post. That's 21,000 members at 1 post. So there are over 60,000 members at 1 post or less which means that 47 % of the VBForums members have posted either once or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EntityX View Post
    I was just checking that out for myself and you're right. 1321 pages of people at 0 posts with 30 users per page. The last page has 2 users and the first has less than a full page of users at 0 posts so let's say 1319 full pages at 30 users per page is 1319 x 30 = 39,570 users. That means 31 % of the VBForums members have 0 posts.

There are also 700 pages of members at 1 post. That's 21,000 members at 1 post. So there are over 60,000 members at 1 post or less which means that 47 % of the VBForums members have posted either once or not at all.
    Chitchatter's post counts are not incremented !

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    Chitchatter's post counts are not incremented !

Who counts chit-chat anyway?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

EntityX

I'm sure that you know this, but if you do

Community > Members List > click on Posts (to sort)

you'll get perhaps a "better" picture of the activity.

At pg 711 -- member 21,301 of 117,203 ... posts = 9
    At pg 1211 -- member 36,001 of 117,203 ... posts = 4
    At pg 2211 -- member 66,330 of 117,203 ... posts = 1

So, seemingly, more than half have made more that one post.

EDIT:
    BTW, you're on pg 20, so you're somewhere between #571 and #600.
    Be that as it may, you clearly have the most extensive biography of the lot

Spoo
    Last edited by Spoo; May 15th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

I'm about half way down the 2nd page when sorting by post count.
    I'm on the 746 page when searching by date joined.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; May 15th, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Explanation: The administrators get paid based on the total number of members. One of the administrators knows how to use INSERT statements.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

PowerPoster

I wonder if that count shows even users who have "Use Invisible Mode" checked in the options ?

PS. I have that option checked....

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom