dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 66

Thread: Why do people cheat?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Randalf the Red honeybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    off others' brains
    Posts
    4,345

    Why do people cheat?

    Why?

    .
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

  2. #2
    Fanatic Member EntityX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omnipresence
    Posts
    798

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    To pass the test, get the grade, get the job, get the money or whatever the easy way.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

    "Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

  3. #3
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,610

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    because they don't expect to get caught !
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



  4. #4

    Thread Starter
    Randalf the Red honeybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    off others' brains
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Summary so far:

    1. To make gains which they otherwise wouldn't be making
    2. No fear of getting caught or being punished
    3. Out of habit (?)

    Any other reasons?

    .
    Last edited by honeybee; May 6th, 2011 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Updated from dee-u's post.
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

  5. #5
    Software Carpenter dee-u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Phils.
    Posts
    11,038

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    It is some people's nature, I know this one person who does it until now since he was teached to cheat when he's still growing.
    Regards,

    ô

    As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

    Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

  6. #6
    Hyperactive Member Ram2Curious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    484

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    " Happiness " may be one of the reasons. Cheating may be a shortcut towards attaining it.

  7. #7
    Next Of Kin baja_yu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    /dev/root
    Posts
    5,989

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Cheat at what?

  8. #8
    PowerPoster abhijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Chit Chat Forum.
    Posts
    3,220

    Smile Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Summary so far:

    1. To make gains which they otherwise wouldn't be making
    2. No fear of getting caught or being punished
    3. Out of habit (?)

    Any other reasons?

    .


    Thrill. There's a certain adrenaline rush involved with cheating, whether you're doing it on a test, shop-lifting, having an affair or going fishing, when you're supposed to be at work.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

  9. #9
    I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Searching for mendhak
    Posts
    58,335

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    All of these reasons are over thinking the question....it is very simple...people cheat because they can.

    Cheating is a fundamental aspect of human nature and has been since there were humans in nature.

    I think I much better question would be: Why don't people cheat?
    Last edited by Hack; May 6th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

  10. #10
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Selfishness or greed
    Low self-esteem
    VB6 Library

    If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

  11. #11
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Because the cheater wants something and either can't or won't achieve it through their own ability.

  12. #12
    PowerPoster abhijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Chit Chat Forum.
    Posts
    3,220

    Red face Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    Because the cheater wants something and either can't or won't achieve it through their own ability.
    Isn't cheating the ability?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

  13. #13
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    I guess I should rephrase as "... their own, unique abilities." Cheating could be considered an ability too, but it's not something unique: everyone can do it.

  14. #14
    PowerPoster abhijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Chit Chat Forum.
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    I guess I should rephrase as "... their own, unique abilities." Cheating could be considered an ability too, but it's not something unique: everyone can do it.
    I beg to differ. There are people, impaired by their conscience, who cannot cheat.

    For these people, cheating is as alien as ____________<fill in appropriate simile>
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

  15. #15
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    A conscience does not make you incapable of cheating, it just dissuades you from doing so.

  16. #16
    Next Of Kin baja_yu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    /dev/root
    Posts
    5,989

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Cheating is a ability, not the ability. They use their ability to cheat to gain something else. Maybe if someone cheated being good at cheating.

    I find cheating to be a personality trait. Most things that most people cheat at are usually something they could have achieved anyway if they put in the work that it requires, they just can't be bothered to.

  17. #17
    C# Aficionado Lord_Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Cave
    Posts
    2,497

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Because the bed is always warmer on the other side.
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

    (Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

  18. #18
    Fanatic Member BlindSniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    865

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    I like seeing if It is possible to cheat in computer games, I like to see how secure a company made their games, although I never use them.

  19. #19
    C# Aficionado Lord_Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Cave
    Posts
    2,497

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    I like seeing if It is possible to cheat in computer games, I like to see how secure a company made their games, although I never use them.
    It's not a matter of security. Most cheats are in the game on purpose; the make the lives of the devs easier.
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

    (Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    34,889

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    What do you count as cheating?

    Did the inventor of the first slide rule cheat by creating a device that simplified certain calculations? Did the inventor of the first electronic calculator cheat? To some people, both would have cheated, because there are always a group of people who have a very high affinity to what they perceive to be normal doctrine. For such people, innovation is cheating because it is getting the job done, but not by doing it the RIGHT way.

    Perhaps cheating is just a question of perspective.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  21. #21
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    Posts
    5,794

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Wait a minute.... What IS cheating?

    The way I see it, it's when your doing something that is against what someone else expects or wants, right?

    So you don't cheat because:
    you don't want to hurt the person/people
    you don't like the consequences of what happens when you get caught (you don't to risk it)

    What if you are not aware that someone else does not like what you are doing? is that still cheating? (No: from your point of view, yes: from the others point of view)


    Also... who is the "bad" person ? the person who cheats, or the person who you are cheating too?

    Example (this is the only example I can think of):
    I sleep with another woman, and my girl friend (wife, etc...) finds out.
    Then who is wrong ? Me, because I wanted to have that experience? or my girl friend because she does NOT want me to experience more than herself ? Isn't that selfish ?

    [edit] PS: I did not cheat on my girl friend!! don't get weird ideas now...

    It seems to me cheating is control... and a limitation of the freedom to do what you want.

    Cheating is "label" you give the person who you are controlling, making it seem like that person is "bad".

    In general, I think: Cheating means going over the limitation imposed by someone else / other people.
    Last edited by CVMichael; May 6th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.

  22. #22
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    1,516

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    I sleep with another woman, and my girl friend (wife, etc...) finds out.
    Then who is wrong ? Me, because I wanted to have that experience? or my girl friend because she does NOT want me to experience more than herself ? Isn't that selfish ?
    Presumably as your relationship developed, the two of you established some mutually accepted ground rules for behavior (either explicitly through discussion, or implicitly by getting to know each other and understand what is and is not acceptable). If your girlfriend is okay with you sleeping around, then you have not cheated and no one is at fault. But if it's not okay with her, and you know it, then you have cheated and it is unambiguously your fault; you are the selfish one in this case because you violated your girlfriend's trust for something you wanted more.

    If in fact you had no clue of your girlfriend's opinion on the subject... I kind of doubt that. But in that case, you sure do need to find out, and you should do so before trying something.

    Don't worry, I realize this is a hypothetical situation tho

    Cheating means going over the limitation imposed by someone else / other people.
    I'd say cheating means going against the accepted rules put in place by a group to establish fairness. You agreed to the rules when you entered the game/school/relationship/job/whatever.
    Last edited by SambaNeko; May 6th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

  23. #23
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    Posts
    5,794

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    You agreed to the rules when you entered the game/school/relationship/job/whatever.
    You mean... life...


    [edit] Hey... I remember there was another post here, someone deleted it... cheater !!! LOL

  24. #24
    Fanatic Member BlindSniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    865

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    I don't mean like Built in cheats, that is just stupid, I mean like reading the memory and resolving pointers, injecting code ect.

  25. #25

    Thread Starter
    Randalf the Red honeybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    off others' brains
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    What do you count as cheating?

    Did the inventor of the first slide rule cheat by creating a device that simplified certain calculations? Did the inventor of the first electronic calculator cheat? To some people, both would have cheated, because there are always a group of people who have a very high affinity to what they perceive to be normal doctrine. For such people, innovation is cheating because it is getting the job done, but not by doing it the RIGHT way.

    Perhaps cheating is just a question of perspective.
    Interesting. I would like to present another idea. Cheating isn't getting the job done by 'not doing it the right way', but by 'doing it the wrong way'.

    When we talk of inventions and advancements in technology, those are things which are 'not done the right way'. In case of a ruler, before it was invented, there was no right way to measure with a ruler. Maybe the processes then would have been different and didn't account for a ruler. However it wasn't WRONG to use the ruler.

    In case of copying during an exam, it's WRONG to copy and so anyone caught doing it is considered to be 'cheating'.

    So cheating is when you do something, or do it in a way, which is expressly considered to be non-right or outright wrong, something you would be forbidden to do.

    .
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

  26. #26
    Freelancer akhileshbc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Trivandrum, Kerala, India
    Posts
    7,647

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.heathermeloche.com/AP%20Tongue%20Twisters.htm

    Cheating Sheila cheated surely on Chesterís precious choices.



    If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

    Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India


    Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

  27. #27
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    people think there is a shortcut...

  28. #28
    PowerPoster Spoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right Coast
    Posts
    2,656

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    So far, not included in the discussion ...

    cheating on wife/husband/bf/gf.

    And those who do this are just shalow.

  29. #29
    C# Aficionado Lord_Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Cave
    Posts
    2,497

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoo View Post
    So far, not included in the discussion ...

    cheating on wife/husband/bf/gf.

    And those who do this are just shalow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Rat
    Because the bed is always warmer on the other side.
    I went there but nobody carried the baton. =)
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

    (Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

  30. #30
    PowerPoster Spoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Right Coast
    Posts
    2,656

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Rat View Post
    I went there but nobody carried the baton. =)
    My bad
    But, geez, you are so subtle.

  31. #31
    C# Aficionado Lord_Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Cave
    Posts
    2,497

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Perhaps that was the problem. =)

    (Though I thought it was pretty clear, even if subtle.)

    (And apparently I was WRONG!)
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

    (Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

  32. #32
    Fanatic Member stlaural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    683

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Because they are not confident enough? I mean some people put more work in cheating that the would need to accomplish whatever they are trying legitimately.
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

    Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.


    .Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

    System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

  33. #33
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by stlaural View Post
    Because they are not confident enough? I mean some people put more work in cheating that the would need to accomplish whatever they are trying legitimately.
    True that.
    VB6 Library

    If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

  34. #34
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,523

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Because they are not confident enough? I mean some people put more work in cheating that the would need to accomplish whatever they are trying legitimately.
    At least that shows commitment



    Just to take the discussion on a different track - in Darwinian terms the answer would be: because it drives evolution.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  35. #35

    Thread Starter
    Randalf the Red honeybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    off others' brains
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    How does it drive evolution?

    And don't quote: Tigers don't cheat, so they haven't evolved.

    .
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

  36. #36
    PowerPoster abhijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Chit Chat Forum.
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    How does it drive evolution?

    And don't quote: Tigers don't cheat, so they haven't evolved.

    .
    I just quoted you.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

  37. #37
    Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester uk
    Posts
    2,610

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    How does it drive evolution?
    Well particularly for a man cheating on a partner could mean that you have more offspring with different women and increase the likelihood of your genes being passed on down the generations.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you



  38. #38
    PowerPoster abhijit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Chit Chat Forum.
    Posts
    3,220

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Well particularly for a man cheating on a partner could mean that you have more offspring with different women and increase the likelihood of your genes being passed on down the generations.
    There is a study that men are wired to cheat on their spouses. That's what the authors claim. Man wants to live forever and one way of doing this is to spread his seed as much as he can. I did find one link to the news item.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

  39. #39
    coder. Lord Orwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Elberfeld, IN
    Posts
    7,597

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    did anyone mention laziness? Most people will do the absolute minimum effort they can to get away with something. For example i think if a person would fail a test or cheat, they would cheat because that's the easiest way to pass. However if they would have gotten a c without cheating they would not cheat because not cheating is easier.

    as far as relationships go, cheating is complicated, and doesn't even mean the same thing. A person may be tempted beyond resistance. For example this really ugly fat guy (also red-head) i know is being used by his live-in girlfriend for food/money/etc and they have never had sex and she won't even let him sleep in the bed. He's been sexless for seven years. Yesterday he cheated with a married woman. Temptation overwhelmed him. There's a point where it becomes justified. I don't blame him. I do however blame the married woman.

  40. #40
    Fanatic Member EntityX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omnipresence
    Posts
    798

    Re: Why do people cheat?

    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    How does it drive evolution?

    And don't quote: Tigers don't cheat, so they haven't evolved.

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by abhijit View Post
    I just quoted you.
    I just quoted you quoting honeybee.

    and don't quote me unless you want to quote me quoting honeybee quoting abhijit.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

    "Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width