Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone used Autoit?

Re: Has anyone used Autoit?

ok, i guess only a few likes the tool, well if you do, just post something here
    Programming is all about good logic. Spend more time here

(Generate pronounceable password) (Generate random number c#) (Filter array with another array)

I've heard of the tool, but I've never used it. I've seen some scripts that people have made with it and it's usually stuff for sys admins, like most people are mentioning.

Most of us wouldn't really have a need for it, because we're able to program what we need and not just script it.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Rat View Post
    Especially since I type in Dvorak
    How much faster did you start typing after learning Dvorak?
    That is the very essence of human beings and our very unique capability to perform complex reasoning and actually use our perception to further our understanding of things. We like to solve problems. -Kleinma

Does your code in post #46 look like my code in #45? No, it doesn't. Therefore, wrong is how it looks. - jmcilhinney

Quite a lot since I used to have to be at least somewhat staring at the Qwerty keyboard to type (even after I had grown comfortable with the key locations, it was a bit of a handicap).

When I learned Dvorak, I forced myself not to look. And I have reaped the rewards.

But I didn't learn for the typing speed increase; that's just a bonus.

I learned it because to type the same text in Dvorak requires 1/8th the finger travel of typing in Qwerty and it types "with the flow" of finger movement. When I switched, I was getting bad RSI. I no longer even feel stiffness after typing all day.
    Need to re-register ASP.NET?
    C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v#VERSIONNUMBER#\aspnet_regiis -i

(Edit #VERSIONNUMBER# as needed - do a DIR if you don't know)

It is a way better setup, I wish they would start teaching it / implementing it.
    That is the very essence of human beings and our very unique capability to perform complex reasoning and actually use our perception to further our understanding of things. We like to solve problems. -Kleinma

Does your code in post #46 look like my code in #45? No, it doesn't. Therefore, wrong is how it looks. - jmcilhinney

one thing i like about it is its portability, it can run even in win7 without installing anything, just the executable alone. it has an activex dll that can be added to vb6 to support its functions

(Generate pronounceable password) (Generate random number c#) (Filter array with another array)

Quote Originally Posted by coolcurrent4u View Post
    one thing i like about it is its portability, it can run even in win7 without installing anything, just the executable alone. it has an activex dll that can be added to vb6 to support its functions
    You can do the same with almost any programming language. With managed languages, there are dependencies like the framework and Java, but most of my apps target 2.0 and that's been out for so long that everyone has it.

"game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Although it cannot be used for complete standard apps yet, but how do you make you vb6 or vb.net application portable?

VB.NET: don't use dependencies that require installation or .NET Framework > 2.0.
    And as long as you use default controls only, VB6 is pretty much portable.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

It is now, but the vb6 runtime wasn't shipped by default until XP.

Yes, but it's as fair to assume that people use XP as it is to assume that people have .NET2.0.

Of course, that's why I said "it is now"

am developing a code snippets lib in Autoit, although i have one in vb6, i need it portable
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by coolcurrent4u; Apr 29th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

am developing a code snippets lib in Autoit, although i have one in vb6, i need it portable
    Like the others mention, for .NET, if you target the 2.0 framework, there's a good chance that most people will have at least this version installed. Since the framework is an automatic update, most should even have higher end version.

At my work, I made an app that targeted 3.5 and out of all the machines that used it, none needed updating. I've found that most people who don't have it are the crazy anti-Microsoft fanatics who removed it for no good reason.

As for your question, are you asking how to make the VB6 app portable?

I've never programmed in VB6, but if it's similar to VB.NET or C#, then I imagine all you have to do is create an executable. Build the solution and pass along the exe. Like the other have mentioned, the VB6 runtimes are included in XP and on up.

Every app is portable, they just come in different sizes. Every language requires something to be installed, if only an OS. The only exception would be something written in ASM that creates its own OS, but even then you would need that file to be accessible, which would almost certainly mean a boot loader. You aren't getting away with not requiring anything, you are only trying to limit your dependencies to just those things that you reasonably expect to already be installed. The pool of things that fall into that category differs with OS, but is constantly growing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

weirddemon
    thanks, but we all know that most apps use activex and this breaks portability. Autoit embeds the activex and it doesn't break its portability.

Python and Delphi churn out portable apps comfortably, why can't MS just do something similar to this programming apps

Frenzied Member

Python and Delphi churn out portable apps comfortably, why can't MS just do something similar to this programming apps
    My opinion would be that they did with the .NET framework.
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

weirddemon
    thanks, but we all know that most apps use activex and this breaks portability. Autoit embeds the activex and it doesn't break its portability.

What? No. ActiveX? I've never made an app with ActiveX, I can't recall ever seeing anyone on the VB.NET forum using ActiveX in their apps and I think it's safe to say that most apps don't use ActiveX.

Why in the world would you need ActiveX for common day applications like the one you mentioned? Give me <1 hour and I can turn out an app like the one you mentioned earlier, and it would be as portable as any other application.

Quote Originally Posted by weirddemon View Post
    What? No. ActiveX? I've never made an app with ActiveX, I can't recall ever seeing anyone on the VB.NET forum using ActiveX in their apps and I think it's safe to say that most apps don't use ActiveX.

Why in the world would you need ActiveX for common day applications like the one you mentioned? Give me <1 hour and I can turn out an app like the one you mentioned earlier, and it would be as portable as any other application.
    If you are gonna use third-party controls, then it might be available in the form of an ActiveX. So, when you distribute your application, you need to include that ActiveX control too.

weirddemon

Check this one:

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    If you are gonna use third-party controls, then it might be available in the form of an ActiveX. So, when you distribute your application, you need to include that ActiveX control too.
    What third party controls that you've used that have utilized ActiveX controls? I use third party all the time, and I've still never ran into that problem.

But still, for what the OP wants, he doesn't need to use ActiveX.

Quote Originally Posted by weirddemon View Post
    What third party controls that you've used that have utilized ActiveX controls? I use third party all the time, and I've still never ran into that problem.

But still, for what the OP wants, he doesn't need to use ActiveX.
    You have used third-party activex components (.OCX files) in your apps and you never included that in your distribution ?

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    You have used third-party activex components (.OCX files) in your apps and you never included that in your distribution ?
    Your original question stated this:

If you are gonna use third-party controls, then it might be available in the form of an ActiveX
    So I said I used 3rd party controls all the time (not 3rd party ActiveX controls) and I've never ran into the problem of encountering ActiveX controls.

It's really hard for me to understand why ActiveX is such a big deal. I've been programming for over two years now and I've never had to worry about ActiveX.

Sorry, I was talking about VB6. And I think, all third-party controls are available in the form of Activex components (which is an OCX file). So whenever we need to distribute the application, we need to include that OCX file too !

But in .Net, there is an ILMerge utility, which I believe would help us to combine all assembly files into a single assembly or even into a single EXE file itself. I haven't tried that utility yet, but what I said was based on my reading.

I decided to go ahead and make the application that the OP referred to in post #53.

Partly, I'm doing this, to prove that a portable app for this, can be written in VB.NET quickly and efficiently. I was also bored, so why not?

I'm not completely done with, but almost. It's taken a little longer than the original "1 hour" I said it would take. But, I've spent a lot of time on the UI and mostly the stupid code icons >.>

Anyway, here's a quick screenshot of it. I should be able to finish it up today. I'm just working on saving and reading the data to an XML file. When that's done, I'll post the code.

It currently supports, VB.NET, C++.NET, C#, Boo, and XML.

this is very good, where did you get the code highlighter from?

this is very good, where did you get the code highlighter from?
    SharpDevelop. It's an alternate opensource IDE, to VS. One of the libraries they created was ICSharpCode.TextEditor. The library encompasses a custom RichTextBox called a TextEditorControl.

It's a neat piece of software and all you really need to do is set the highlighting and it does the rest for you. Apparently, you're also able to do code folding and what not, but I've never spent a whole lot of time with it, so I've never figured that out.

But, I'm not sure if you can use it in VB6 projects. You might be able to, but that would beat the whole "portable" issue with ActiveX. The library requires the .NET 2.0 framework, like the project I started creating. Though, like I've mentioned before, that's hardly a requirement anymore :P

No one seemed that interested when I started making this, so I just put it on hold. I might get back to it sometime, but if you want what I have so far, I'd be more than willing to attach it here.
    Last edited by weirddemon; May 18th, 2011 at 07:53 PM.

I'd also like to have a look at that, I have always needed a good Syntax highlighter and I think I will actually use the program a lot and I would like 2 see the code(I rarely see good code, I would like to learn from it.) If it isn't to hard I might also try and pitch in and help(I have school holidays where I seldom have things to do, so then I can work on this.).

Why not make it a VBF collaborative project?

That would be cool, you can go and create a open source project on Google code or source forge or even Git, then anyone who wants to help, can.

Frenzied Member

Good idea BigB & Blind.

I made a modification to a program there. It is pretty cool, it makes a chart of your application's dependencies. My contribution was small, I just included a filter, but I have found the program useful for large projects with lots of DLLs (the one I'm working on now has over 400). It is written in C# and I know you like use that BigB.
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

I downloaded Autoit and it seems like an easy and fast way to write scripts, it seems mostly to automate tasks but I guess that is where the "Auto" part of the name comes from. I think it is worth downloading since It is only 8MB, but don't expect to use it more than once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    I'd also like to have a look at that, I have always needed a good Syntax highlighter and I think I will actually use the program a lot and I would like 2 see the code(I rarely see good code, I would like to learn from it.) If it isn't to hard I might also try and pitch in and help(I have school holidays where I seldom have things to do, so then I can work on this.).
    I don't know if you'd call my code "good" by any means, but it works

I've attached the project so you can take a look at it. Remember though, all the syntax highlighting is done by the 3rd party library. The rest of it is just my 1 day of fitting the source highlighting code into an app like the OP was referring to.

For the most part, it's done. I just never go to finishing the saving and loading parts. I was going to do that by XML file and you can see a couple of XML classes I started making. It's not too complicated and you should be able to add on to it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

i\ll have a look and give feedback

Is that text editor library a separate download ? I downloaded the source code and searched but There wasn't anything that looked like a control. I then compiled it and There still wasn't any dll's with that name. What is the dll's name that I should reference and where can I find it.

EDIT: Found it! It turns out you need to use your brain to find it !

For anyone who wants to get that syntax highlighter

#1 http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/S...elease=Mirador ( IF that link doesn't work http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/ and download the latest version's source code)
    #2 Extract everything into a folder
    #3 run releasebuild.bat
    #4 Improve your reading speed by reading everything that appears on that console window (joke, just wait for it to finish)
    #5 goto the bin folder and there you will see ICSharpCode.AvalonEdit.dll (Note this is a wpf control, If you want a winforms control look at a version < 4)
    You now have an awesome syntax highlighter
    Last edited by BlindSniper; Jun 14th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Useful CodeBank Entries of mine
    Expand Function
    Code Compiler
    Sudoku Solver
    HotKeyHandler Class

Read this to get Effective help on VBForums
    Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF

thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by BlindSniper View Post
    Is that text editor library a separate download ? I downloaded the source code and searched but There wasn't anything that looked like a control. I then compiled it and There still wasn't any dll's with that name. What is the dll's name that I should reference and where can I find it.

EDIT: Found it! It turns out you need to use your brain to find it !

For anyone who wants to get that syntax highlighter

#1 http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/S...elease=Mirador ( IF that link doesn't work http://sharpdevelop.net/OpenSource/SD/Download/ and download the latest version's source code)
    #2 Extract everything into a folder
    #3 run releasebuild.bat
    #4 Improve your reading speed by reading everything that appears on that console window (joke, just wait for it to finish)
    #5 goto the bin folder and there you will see ICSharpCode.AvalonEdit.dll (Note this is a wpf control, If you want a winforms control look at a version < 4)
    You now have an awesome syntax highlighter
    That's the wrong one. Like you mentioned, AvalonEdit is a WPF control. I was going to use that one, but decided to go with the old one for portability. The old one, not call AvalonEdit at all, is targeted towards the 2.0 framework and AvalonEdit needs at least 3.5 SP1.

I was going to use that one, but decided to go with the old one for portability
    what do you mean by portability?

what do you mean by portability?
    Old one = .NET 2.0 Framework
    New one = .NET 3.5 Framework

The lower the requirements, the more likely it will on a wider range of PCs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12