Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I get my Windows Service to run detached from the client?

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] How do I get my Windows Service to run detached from the client?

Hi All,

I have a WCF Service library wrapped in a windows service being called from a standard Web App.

My web app has a reference to the windows service and calls the wcf process on the windows service in the following way:
    Code:
    using (IRSService.RSClient WCF = new RSClient())
                    {
                        WCF.ProcessBorderaux();
                        WCF.Close();
                    }
    In my windows service in my OnStart Event I have the following Code:

Code:
    Thread t = new Thread(new ThreadStart(RunService));
                try
                {
                   t.Start();
                }
                catch
                {
                    if (t.IsAlive) { t.Abort(); }
                    throw;
                }
    and my RunService method is defined:

Code:
    protected void RunService()
            {
                sHost = new ServiceHost(typeof(wcfBorderauxIRSService.IRSService));
                sHost.Open();

ServiceEndpoint endpoint = sHost.Description.Endpoints[0];
                EventLog.WriteEntry(endpoint.Contract.Name + " Started" + " listening on " + endpoint.Address + " (" + endpoint.Binding.Name + ")",
                                    System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType.Information);
            }
    Once t.start has been initiated, I expect the process to bubble back up the chain and thus become detached from my client. However, The client still seems to be attached after my long running process has been started. and so then the client falls at the closing curly brace of my 'Using' Statement with the following error:

The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

If I continue, my client crashes, but my service continues as I want.

How do I gracefully detach my Service from the client once the service has initiated successfully?

On my WCF Service, I have added to the interface the oneway attribute:

Code:
    [ServiceContract]
        public interface IRS
        {
            [OperationContract(IsOneWay=true)]
            void ProcessBorderaux();
    and on the Service I have adorned a ServiceBehaviour:

Code:
        [ServiceBehavior(AutomaticSessionShutdown = false, UseSynchronizationContext = false, InstanceContextMode = InstanceContextMode.PerCall, ConcurrencyMode = ConcurrencyMode.Single)]
        public class IRSService : IRS.....
    The idea being that with AutomaticSessionShutdown set, the service doesn't shut when the client does. However adding these have made little difference I know receive a timeout error relating to sockets, but it's still the same underlying issue of returning from the service as soon as the process has been called.
    Last edited by Bill Crawley; Apr 8th, 2011 at 05:46 AM.

Fanatic Member

Re: How do I get my Windows Service to run detached from the client?

For all those that may be interested. This was a nasty one. There was nothing wrong with my code in general, the problem was in my client declaring the 'using' statement. It appears that when this is declared, The garbage collector etc stay for the full duration of any code inside the preceeding Braces, thus forcing the problem I was receiving. Remove the use of 'using' and the error's disappear and the application continues as required. Using a 'Using' statement is the prefered Microsoft method when dealing with Async behavior not Sync behaviour.