Thread: Grading Scores

Grading Scores

Hallo all,
    I wish to request for help regarding how to analyse student marks to generate grades from the database. i have the following records that hav captured from the school.
    [IMG]\\10.10.10.1\Fine-Xtreme\Member Passports\photos stll\class datasheet.jpg[/IMG]
    from the image attached, a student will apear several times cox there three exams per semester. e.g. if peter is in class 4 term 2, then he will have results for exam 1, exam 2 and final exam for this semester. how can i analyse this data so as i have all the three exam results added to give me one score for the term for a specific subject.

please help.

Re: Grading Scores

Hallo all,
    I wish to request for help regarding how to analyse student marks to generate grades from the database. i have the following records that hav captured from the school.

sorry, didnt attach the picture, this reply has it.

from the image attached, a student will apear several times cox there three exams per semester. e.g. if peter is in class 4 term 2, then he will have results for exam 1, exam 2 and final exam for this semester. how can i analyse this data so as i have all the three exam results added to give me one score for the term for a specific subject.

please help.
    depash is offline Reply With Quote
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think this question should likely be in the " Database Development Section". As far as your question is concerned, i recommend you to go through " Normalization". ( If you are trying to develop a database )

Or else you need to do the analysis manually for the given set of data.

Here is an article from the Database Development FAQ which, explains what database normalization is.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Thread moved to 'Database Development' forum (the 'VB6' forum is only meant for questions which don't fit in more specific forums) (thanks for reporting it to us Nightwalker83 )

Normalization would be a good idea, but I don't think it is actually necessary to get what you want.

It would also be a good idea to rename your fields to remove spaces, as they cause various problems, and those problems cannot always be solved in a reasonable way.

To get summary data use a Group By, which in this case would be something like:
    Code:
    SELECT [Student Name], Subject, Term, Sum(Score)
    FROM TableName
    GROUP BY [Student Name], Subject, Term

I would add Sch Year to the select list and Group by list that SI showed you also.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

@depash

I worried about whether you are using a programming language(like vb6) or directly trying to manipulate the database or you just need an idea for "how to analyse student marks to generate grades".