Thread: why everyone is using apache with php

Fanatic Member

why everyone is using apache with php

hi, What is the difference between apache and IIS? also explain why most of the people using apache webserver with php, why people use it? i mean that is there any problem with IIS except OPEN SOURCE?

Frenzied Member

Re: why everyone is using apache with php

With respect to PHP, Apache executes it through an extension module, whereas IIS executes through CGI, which has historically made for poorer performance on IIS. But I think IIS has alleviated the problem with FastCGI in its most recent versions.

In general, yes I'd assume Apache gains some favor for being open source and free, as well that it installs more universally. But I've read some opinions favoring IIS as being easier to setup and administer.

not to mention being eaisier to maintain and manage... I use it because that's what's my host uses, so it makes development easier. Not to mention that with XAMPP, it's silly easy to set up... and I can install it onto a thumbdrive and carry it about as well... I don't think I can do that with IIs.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

One word: CHEAP.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    With respect to PHP, Apache executes it through an extension module, whereas IIS executes through CGI, which has historically made for poorer performance on IIS. But I think IIS has alleviated the problem with FastCGI in its most recent versions.
    hi sambaneko, i didnt get its meaning, would you please explain in little detail including these specific terms.

Frenzied Member

Server software uses modules to handle the interpretation of languages such as PHP. On Apache, PHP is handled by its own module which is installed as an extension of the Apache environment - so it's as if PHP is a native language to Apache. On (older versions of) IIS, PHP is handled by the CGI module - using a middleman to interpret the code puts IIS at a disadvantage for performance. Also, CGI is slow because it has to create a new process for every request it receives.

As said though, the newest versions of IIS use FastCGI, an improved module that can handle multiple requests per process. I don't have any statistics, but I've read claims that that has closed much of the performance gap for PHP on IIS.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Apache httpd isn't that great. Neither is Microsoft Windows. People use these products because other people also use them.

IIS is not as popular because it only runs on Windows and is harder to configure. It goes hand in hand with ASP and ASP.NET rather than PHP or Perl.

Websites with heavy traffic use lightweight servers like nginx or Lighttpd, or that Google one whose name escapes me.
    Last edited by penagate; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:02 PM.