Thread: Do you use RESET CSS files

Do you use RESET CSS files

Do you have a reset css file that sets things to default values?

Seems this is a wildly discussed topic on the net - just wondering what my trusted colleagues here on the forum think!

Thanks!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Re: Do you use RESET CSS files

I have never heard of it before but I normally just use css files depending on which browsers need to be targeted.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I'm thinking of using this

Code:
    html, body {padding: 0; margin: 0;}
    html {font-size: 1em;}
    body {font-size: 62.5%;} /* 1em now equals 10px */
    a img, :link img, :visited img {border: 0;}
    This link goes into the topic heavily.

http://sixrevisions.com/css/a-compre...to-css-resets/

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

I typically go with something simple like:
    Code:
    *{margin:0;padding:0;}
    *:focus{outline:0;} /* This is bad for accessibility if you don't account for it with other styles */
    body{font-size: 62.5%;}
    img,fieldset{border:0;}

I've read that the "*" wildcard removes those settings from too many elements - some need them.

I am using that 62.5% though - and I'm going to use 1.5 em and such for font everywhere else.

Currently I'm using the following - but it's still a work in progress.

Code:
    /* Reset Styles */

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe,
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre,
    a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code,
    del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp,
    small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var,
    dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li,
    fieldset, form, label, legend,
    table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td {
    	margin: 0;
    	padding: 0;
    	border: 0;
    	outline: 0;
    	font-weight: inherit;
    	font-style: inherit;
    	font-family: inherit;
    	vertical-align: baseline;
    }

body {font-size: 62.5%;}
    a img, :link img, :visited img {border: 0;}

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

I've read that the "*" wildcard removes those settings from too many elements - some need them.
    I do replace margin and padding on certain elements further down the style sheet (the amounts of which are varying), but I want the starting assumption to be 0, for everything.

What's not already in this block anyway?
    Code:
    html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe,
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre,
    a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code,
    del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp,
    small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var,
    dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li,
    fieldset, form, label, legend,
    table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td {
    I'd rather zero everything, then redefine the special cases myself, as-desired. It may be less efficient, but I'll take it.
    Last edited by SambaNeko; Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SambaNeko View Post
    I'd rather zero everything, then redefine the special cases myself, as-desired. It may be less efficient, but I'll take it.
    I agree with this. I even go further than resetting only the margins for everything:
    Code:
    * {
      border: 0;
      font-family: arial, helvetica, tahoma;
      list-style: none;
      text-decoration: none;
    }
    Like Archer? Check out some Sterling Archer quotes.

Frenzied Member

I don't like *{border:0;} because of what it does to <input> and <button> elements: once you take off the default border, you can put one back, but you can't restore the system default appearance of the element (right?), which is sometimes desired.

And I don't like putting a font-family on * because I've run into situations like this:
    Code:
    <style>
    * { font-family: arial; }
    p.someStyle { font-family: tahoma; }
    </style>

<p class="someStyle">This is in tahoma like I want it to be, <em>but this is in arial, when I wanted tahoma.</em></p>
    So I prefer the font-family on the body{} declaration (plus another declaration for textarea).
    Last edited by SambaNeko; Mar 24th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

I dislike reset stylesheets greatly. I think of them more as a CSS learning convenience, not something to use as a base for each and every case. I don't want to redefine all styles each time, for example, I like that those headers have their default margins in the main content. Also, I find it much more valuable to teach that browsers do have their default styles and how to deal with those defaults ie. when someone gets extra trouble on margins ("why there is a top margin but I've set it to zero?") you learn something new on CSS: that margins can jump from child elements to their parent element. This may even be desired in some cases! An example: a special case header with a child image could have some extra margin to push it further down, and this would happen automatically by having the img tag there. No need to add an extra class attribute for just that.

So instead of reset stylesheet I do resetting only on elements I actually want to reset (html & body is the most common). And even then I don't think of it as resetting, instead it is just setting the style I want to have. The most common critique for reset CSS is that you first reset everything an in the other hand then redefine everything. Kind of doubling the work; and in some cases creating work that wouldn't otherwise be there. I used reset CSS for a while and noticed it only increased my workload.

One of the neatest things to do if you want your fields to have the same font as everything else:

input,select,textarea { font-family: inherit; }
    Last edited by Merri; Mar 29th, 2011 at 05:30 AM.

Frenzied Member

And even then I don't think of it as resetting, instead it is just setting the style I want to have.
    I feel the same way about using resets; regardless of what you call it, the whole point is getting the style that you want. If you want to leave the browser defaults alone, then by all means. And if you want everything to start at zero, then you can use these methods that are known as "resets."

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

There are different meanings behind all this stuff...

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
    Hard reset, or what you call "zero style".

Reset stylesheet:
    A stylesheet that aims to make default browser styles null and void, ie. every browser looks exactly the same after applying the stylesheet no matter what element you use.

Then there is the HTML5 boilerplate stylesheet that also introduces HTML5 elements into the picture. It can be considered quite useful at the moment for old browser support. It doesn't take long and it just becomes a regular reset stylesheet when old browsers become insignificant.