Thread: [RESOLVED] Cannot publish because a project failed to build

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Cannot publish because a project failed to build

I get this message and also "an error occured while signing: failed to sign bin\release\apppublish\\setup.exe"

error 0x80880253

The program however has always ran fine and builds fine when running debug.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've always went through the publish process, to get me EXE file in VBprojects?project> obj>release folder

I really only need the exe, not using a setup file or publishing to the web.

I didn't have this problem before (last build maybe a year ago) -- just added some new code and like I say it runs fine.

THANKS for your help.

Fanatic Member

Re: Cannot publish because a project failed to build

Using VB2008 by the way.

One thing I did do at one point is keep VB from connecting to the internet for that welcome screen nonsense -- could this have something to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by mbarton View Post
    I really only need the exe, not using a setup file or publishing to the web.
    Then you don't really need to publish your project. Just change the configuration to release and compile/run the app. After that, you can get the exe from the release folder.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Fanatic Member

Thanks Stan -- I just was in the properties >signing after looking into this some more, I read if you "Create test certificate" clicked on that and it asked for password !! ?

Anyway, maybe you can fill me in on that if I ever use publish because I have NO password in my records anywhere. (problem?).

But like I say, I only use the EXE file anyway and in the past, I published and just grabbed it from the bin>release folder.

I always knew there was another way but wasn't familiar -- I just looked through tools and don't see anything like you're talking about -- how (where) do I change the configuration?

After I do, do I just use BUILD to get my EXE?

THANKS kindly.

Fanatic Member

Or take the exe away from the debug folder, that is what I always do.
    Code:
    "Project_name\Project_name\bin\Debug\Exe_Name.exe"

Fanatic Member

so how do configure it to do that as Stan mentioned?

the last exe I have in my debug or release folder is a very old one.

On VS menu bar, go to Build > Configuration Manager... Change the active configuration to Release and Configuration to Release.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Fanatic Member

Actually Stan, I have VB 2008 express -- (should have mentioned that) been a while since my last post.

Let me guess, can't do it on the express version? (don't tell me)

Didn't see anything obvious like what you were saying, I'll go back and look closer.

Fanatic Member

BUILD does not give any configuration manager. It's just BUILD and PUBLISH -- 2 choices.

Also went to Project properties and searched 3 times everywhere, especially COMPILE options but nothing.

No option that shows anything like that.

Does this help?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Fanatic Member

Thanks but no reinstall for now. Don't think that's it.

I need to get back to this issue of "create test certificate" and my NO password issue -- (what a bunch of SH_T) !

You spend hours on a project and these kind of things come up.

I think express only likes the click once thing and it always worked for me.

I just chose publish to CD rather than internet and it not only did a setup file etc but put the exe in the release folder. (this is the only way to get an exe with express?)

Anyway -- how do I solve this certificate issue because my research shows that will solve the publishing problem.

Fanatic Member

Ok -- here's what I've learned. All OK now.

Stan, I think the express version has to do this click once publishing, couldn't find anything that referenced a build option like you mentioned.

You go to PROJECT>PROPERTIES>SIGNING and create test certificate (mine had expired?). I was worried about NOT having a password but apparently you just put in anything.

Don't know much about all this -- has something to do with SSL and security?

Anyway, back to normal -- builds and creates my exe fine now (but you have to do the publish process).

Case closed -- thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarton View Post
    You spend hours on a project and these kind of things come up.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Only in my case it was months. Then an error comes up saying it can't publish because the build failed, but the build wasn't failing. The error message was totally useless!! Thanks for figuring this out, you saved me!

Jeff