View Poll Results: What is the best game format?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • standard snake design with some mods such as moving food (mice) and enemies

2 33.33%
  • r-type style: scrolling background with waves of enemies

1 16.67%
  • smash-tv style Background fixed, waves of enemies

0 0%
  • zelda style (zelda 1) Travel around board and interact with bad-guys zelda style.

3 50.00%

Thread: Wanted: Game ideas, beta testers. Artists, coders? Credit given

Wanted: Game ideas, beta testers. Artists, coders? Credit given

I am working on an xna game to be released as an indy game (paypal supported) and the basic premise is the main sprite is a snake, and the game will be titled "Spit Viper". The basic premise is you eat mice (which move) and avoid enemies and obstacles in a free-scrolling area. The final design isn't hashed out, but i'm thinking something either like smashtv or a shmup scroller. Another possibility is a zelda-like game where you would avoid just a few enemies on the screen and have a short-range spit defense to knock them back/kill with.

1. Beta testers are needed. This is mainly due to hardware support. I will be implementing code to support joysticks besides the microsoft controller, eventually. However, i also would like feedback on control schemes, how it looks at various resolutions, how it will behave on a certain harware level, etc. Example: will it animate smoothly on a system less powerful than mine?

2. All my art so far is public domain, but i could always use something better. The main art i need right now is a top-down snake, but a large sprite with animation frames (say 100x100) of perhaps a cobra crawling around or whatever would be great. I found something perfect, http://images.wikia.com/dukenukem/im.../Kingcobra.png
    but it's not public domain.

3. I could use a collaberator for general assistance. For example a whole separate program could be created to design the levels with. Plus there are a few things i simply don't yet know how to program. For example the best way to have the starting places on the map for enemies, or how to have a path that enemies follow (think: waves coming on screen like r-type)

4. Finally, just general game ideas/modifications/etc would be considered. Everyone will be credited who assists, either with vbforums name or actual name if wished. You know a great way to make enemy bullets? Tell me. You have a great level idea? Tell me. Everyone who PMs me will become part of this and i think we could make something really worthwhile. I will be spending a decent amount of time on this project in the next few months and hope to make something worth notice.

As a final note, level music could be implemented but i don't have any. So far i have a splash screen metal music, but that's it.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Re: Wanted: Game ideas, beta testers. Artists, coders? Credit given

I would be happy to test for you.
    W o t . S i g

Quote Originally Posted by Milk View Post
    I would be happy to test for you.
    i'll contact you when ready.
    First things first, i am adding a poll to this thread. Please vote.

i will beta test on linux. got ubuntu
    Software languages known:
    Qbasic - TI-Basic - Liberty Basic - Visual Basic 6
    Software API's known:
    Directx 7 and 8
    Internet languages, in the process of learning:
    HTML - JAVASCRIPT - PHP - CSS - MYSQL - AJAX

Quote Originally Posted by damasterjo View Post
    i will beta test on linux. got ubuntu
    if i start coding in java, i'll keep you in mind. this current project will be windows only.

I can test it out for you =)

Me too

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Well here's my own intial take on the Spit Viper. And yes, it's a viper (roughly) not a cobra so it my need some plastic surgery. Unfortunately I doubt if I will find time to animate the poor critter in the near future -- mainly because I have not much idea how to do it. Besides, what's a top down snake? Does that mean a non-animated view of said snake from above? If so, I suppose I could have another try at a similar character from that direction.

It would be nice to know what animations will be needed, even if I am not going to commit myself. Maybe some ideas will pop up later about a good way to do it.

cheers, BB

Name:  spitViper1.png
Views: 445
Size:  39.8 KB

actually that is a very good graphic and pretty much exactly what i need. the mouse is in the same view angle. If you can make two or 3 more to show motion as it moves, i could flip it in code.

ideally, i would have numerous frames for a back view and a front view as the snake moves up and down, but if that's beyond your skill or time, i understand.
    here's the mouse:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am setting out on my VB journey so I won't be able to help with the coding side but I'll hapily play test it for you.

How about a back story, of the mice trying to build a mechanical mongoose or feed a giant rat as a final boss character? If x amount of mice get back to base before the boss encounter it is more powerful etc. You could have various levels like a sewer where there is abandonded toxic waste = power up or a hardware store with mouse traps.

Just a few thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    actually that is a very good graphic and pretty much exactly what i need. the mouse is in the same view angle. If you can make two or 3 more to show motion as it moves, i could flip it in code.

ideally, i would have numerous frames for a back view and a front view as the snake moves up and down, but if that's beyond your skill or time, i understand.
    here's the mouse:
    That should be no problem as long as it's 2D. Actually I have done animations professionally (for a zoo) but I am out of practice by several decades and I miss my late lamented Amiga 4000.

I take it that for the moment you just need the snake to snake along horizontally and not do anything else particular. If it has to do anything with its head -- spitting, pouncing, smiling at the camera etc -- I'll try to incorporate it. But does that mouse have any other tricks?

I'm not sure what to do about your poll. I know practically nothing about platform games.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by boops boops View Post
    That should be no problem as long as it's 2D. Actually I have done animations professionally (for a zoo) but I am out of practice by several decades and I miss my late lamented Amiga 4000.

I take it that for the moment you just need the snake to snake along horizontally and not do anything else particular. If it has to do anything with its head -- spitting, pouncing, smiling at the camera etc -- I'll try to incorporate it. But does that mouse have any other tricks?

I'm not sure what to do about your poll. I know practically nothing about platform games.

BB
    You're talking to a prior amiga owner. I had a 500, and i loved it. It took years for the pcs to catch up. Anyway, platform wasn't one of the options, and i am kinda leaning towards a side-scroller. So the snake would be travelling horizontally chasing a nutty mouse and waves of bad-guys and obstacles (rocks, bushes, etc) would need to be avoided. It will be a high-speed scroller and the current plan is that the spit attack will take out the bad-guys and there will be random powerups to give you hit pts. My current work is in trying to build a level designer, since the levels will be stored on disk.

as for the mouse, i've got it split into individual frames and can animate it manually in my code. I was thinking that eating the mice recharged a meter for venom, but that might be odd. Perhaps a gem or star or heart instead. I have graphics for all of these already.

Edit: looks like the voters like the zelda idea instead. If this is the case i would need a couple of frames of the snake moving up and down.
    here's an example of a snake:
    http://images.wikia.com/dukenukem/im.../Kingcobra.png
    i can't use these images because they are owned by 3drealms, but the way they drew the snake when coming towards or going away was nice. Plus, i've been wanting a cartoony feel anyway, and yours fits in great.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Mar 22nd, 2011 at 08:16 PM.