Thread: [RESOLVED] undiscclosed quotation mark after the character string')'.incorrect syntax near ')'.

Resolved [RESOLVED] undiscclosed quotation mark after the character string')'.incorrect syntax near ')'.

when saving am getting this error"undiscclosed quotation mark after the character string')'.incorrect syntax near ')'.
    I used the command in other codes which working perfectly. Please help

Private Sub btnsave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnsave.Click
    'Dim Table As New DataTable()
    put = "Insert into loans (msdDate_Applied, Loan_No,Prin_Amount,purpose,Account_no,loan_kind) values(" & msdDate_Applied.TextMaskFormat & ",'" & Me.txtLoan_no.Text & "','" & cboloan_kind.SelectedValue() & "','" & cbokind.Text & "'," & Me.txtprin_amount.Text & "')"
    da = New SqlDataAdapter(put, ConnectionString)
    da.Fill(ds, "user")
    MessageBox.Show("Record Successfully Added")
    Me.btnsave.Enabled = False
    End Sub

thanks for ur help

Addicted Member

Re: undiscclosed quotation mark after the character string')'.incorrect syntax near '

hi,
    As far as I can see, in the code you provided:
    Code:
    ," & Me.txtprin_amount.Text & "'
    is missing the quotation mark:
    Code:
    ,'" & Me.txtprin_amount.Text & "'
    Paul

Re: undiscclosed quotation mark after the character string')'.incorrect syntax near '

Don't use string concatenation to build SQL statements. It's just too error prone, as this issue shows, and is a big security hole too. Always use parameters. Follow the Blog link in my signature and read my post on ADO.NET parameters for the how and why.

thanks for yours reply,
    After correcting the error, am getting the message 'cannot insert explicit value for identity column in the table 'loans' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set OFF
    da.fill(ds,"loans") highlighted

That means that your database is configured to generate ID values automatically and you're trying to insert an ID yourself. Don't include the ID column in the SQL code, whichever column it is.

error converting varchar to numeric when saving after removing the automatic generate id from the insert command

Frenzied Member

can you show us you corrected code

Then you've got your columns mixed up. Are you using parameters? If not then you should fix that immediately. If you are, show us the code.

code ttached as per ur request
    Attached Files Attached Files

Frenzied Member

You are not passing the values in the proper order,
    In the fields section the Prin_amount is in the second place but when you are passing the values, it is in the last place

if should be something like this
    "Insert Into TableName (a,b,c,d) Values (Value_a, Value_b, Value_c, Value_d)"
    but you have jumbled the values

And the most important you have ignored the previous advice by JMC
    You Should Consider Using Parameters

it's working now.
    Thanks