Thread: Creating n-tier applications

Question Creating n-tier applications

Hi guys...

I'm trying to learn this and had gone through some tutorials (found on googling).
    But most of them are a bit harder to understand. An easy to understand version was not found !

Do you know any links to a good tutorial ?

Also, where can I get a good example program written using 3-tier architecture in VB ?

Any links... ?

Thanks

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Re: Creating n-tier applications

Thanks

I'm looking for VB.Net examples.

I found one in here: http://www.santillimarco.it/files/varie/Patient.rar

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Is there a book (from any publishers) completely dedicated to creating n-tier (mainly 3) applications, in VB ?

I would like to echo akhileshbc's question and summon this thread from the underworld if I may? I have been searching all morning through google and amazon for a good logical VB.NET VS2010 web n-tier design guide for slackers like myself to learn such a technology/method.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Odds are you're not going to... a couple of points... first don't confuse n-tier with n-layers... they are related but different issues all together. You can't have n-tier w/o n-layers... but can most certainly have n-layers but 0-tiers... tiers is a logical separation of the components... data layer... UI, business layer, database, etc... tiered architecture on the other hand is PHYSICAL separation... multiple servers... an app server, database servers, logic servers... the client...
    The other point I want to make is that n-tier is an ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN concept... it's not really a programming concept... while yes as a developer you have to be aware if it's going to be used in an n-tiered architecture, in the end, it doesn't matter much to you... you simply develop the layers... from there if they are all deployed on a single system, a client-server or n-tier architecture, is largely irrelevant.
    That's probably why you don't see VB books on n-tiers... it's a CONCEPT... it affects the design and architecture... it's at a higher level from the development.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thank you for the response. I just did some google/amazon searching for "vb.net layered development" and it did not show much of anything.

What the heck am I not understanding, dangit? lol. What gives?

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or nor.It is an example of an n-tier app I did a few years back. In school it is the only way we were taught to create apps. It is in VS 2005 but it should work. It has a Config File(database path for either an Access DB or SqlServer), a data Access layer, an Entity Layer, Database Layer, a GUI Layer and a Module layer.

Name:  SolutionExplorer.JPG
Views: 2824
Size:  9.7 KB

MultiTierExample.zip
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

Quote Originally Posted by palpacino View Post
    I would like to echo akhileshbc's question and summon this thread from the underworld if I may? I have been searching all morning through google and amazon for a good logical VB.NET VS2010 web n-tier design guide for slackers like myself to learn such a technology/method.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Ok - why resurrect an old thread - you have a web based question - right?

Thing about web is the UI layer is already a tier - it's running in a browser on a workstation - very much separated from the web server!

With that said - how are you going to code the frontend UI? Using ASP.Net to "generate" web content on the fly from the backend (yuk)? Using jQuery/Javascript to build the web content in the browser?

But back to the backend - the web server. Are you going to use IIS to host the service? If you do then every request to the web server creates an independent thread running that functionality. Do you have that functionality talk to another layer that manages the DATABASE ACCESS? I've never seen value to that in a web app - but I'm sure n-tier purists do.

Are you looking to learn for the purpose of learning? Go to the bookstore and you will find many WROX books on this subject. I've bought about a dozen WROX books in my time and only found maybe one to be meaningful (most are so slanted towards the authors point of view that they are useless in the long run).

Google for this and you will find many books

wrox n-tier web applications

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

never noticed the one line about web app.
    Thanks
    CoachBarker

Code Bank Contribution
    Login/Manage Users/Navigate Records
    VB.Net | C#

Helpful Links: VB.net Tutorial | C Sharp Tutorial | SQL Basics

*disregard ... that's what I get for leaving the browser open for a couple hours ...*

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *