Thread: Dual Bot OS Problem

Exclamation Dual Bot OS Problem

My netbook have a OEM Windows 7 Starter and last night i decided to make it a dual OS so i download Partition Manager to make a other Drive for windows XP.

After making a new drive, i create a usb bootable Windows Xp and change the BIOS into IDE then i install XP Perfectly and i restart my netbook to check if my windows 7 starter will also work.

Unlucky the windows 7 does not start at all it's only black screen even i change the bios and back it to the normal w/c is AHCI Mode also the same even i change.

Why? What do i need to do to get back to normal boot of my windows 7 Starter? I am sure i am not formatted that drive w/c is drive C: because my windows XP is Drive E:. And when i open windows XP i see the drive of my C; and the folders are there it means it won't boot.

That is my main problem to boot the Windows 7 Starter.

Give some REP. if my POST is helpful

Re: Dual Bot OS Problem

Sounds like the MBR was overwritten.
    The easiest way is to install Windows 7 over XP. That won't give you the same issues you're facing now, because the windows 7 bootloader detects older windows versions.

If you like to get your hands dirty, make a backup of important data (for both xp and 7 data, and if this goes wrong you might have to reinstall both).
    Get your hands on a Windows 7 disc and boot from it.
    The first step asks you for language etc.; press next.
    Now do NOT press install now. Instead you want to click on the repair link (in the bottom left).
    Follow the steps until you get a screen with approximately 8 tools, where one of them is the command prompt.
    It probably shows up in directory X:\sources.
    Go to C: and using 'dir' verify that that is the Windows 7 partition.
    Now move to the installation cd/flash drive (probably D: or E: ) and move to the directory 'boot'.
    If you list the files the file bootsect.exe should appear.
    Now use the following command
    bootsect /nt60 C: /force
    Now when you reboot, you should be able to boot into windows 7 again.
    After that it should be just a matter of installing EasyBCD and adding the correct boot entry for XP.

Just one thing I'm concerned with is that it seems like you disabled AHCI mode when installing XP.
    In that case you should reinstall Windows 7, because it might have trouble booting with AHCI disabled.
    And the other way around, XP won't boot with AHCI enabled.
    Windows 7 does support booting with AHCI disabled, but this must be done from setup.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Last Night i go to the Computer Management then disk Management. Now i see the Drive C: w/c is Windows 7. I right click on it and set it as mark as active partition. After that i restart my computer and now there is an error comes out. " BOOTMGR " is misssing.

Do i need to make a bootable windows 7 flash disk to enter the repair mode?

Disabling AHCI mode in installing XP is needed because when i don't disable that mode the XP only see one partition w/c is my USB. But when i change it to IDE and boot again the XP to set-up or install i see all my partition.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsside14 View Post
    Do i need to make a bootable windows 7 flash disk to enter the repair mode?
    According to this site all you need is the Windows 7 installation disk.

You might find other useful thing here.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

@ Night

Yes i already done that.

Run the OS of windows 7 and go to the Command Prompt and command the fixmbr.
    After i done that the windows 7 boot again but the xp won't boot. I mean if i do dual OS so i will came to the point if i do restart i will see choices of windows xp or windows 7 will i boot isn't? But on my case i don't see that part. Windows 7 will boot automatically. I look to the Environmental in windows 7 i look only one OS are there to boot w/c is Windows 7 only. I know windows 7 don't have boot.ini am i correct?

How could make a choices that will tell windows 7 or windows xp will i boot to my computer?

Can you boot into Windows 7 with AHCI disabled?
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

I can't even i already enable the AHCI mood to boot win7 still the same. Only black screen, when i repair windows 7 the os will boot normally but booting of XP gone again.

download and run easybcd

These steps should help
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6704
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell