Thread: Forums are so slow.

Forums are so slow.

Sorry to complain but they are pretty slow

Re: Forums are so slow.

Agreed, same here too from the UK. If it helps, I am using Google Chrome.

Gary

I have a partial solution, it's the scripts that are slowing the site down, you can download the "no script" add-on for firefox, main thing is that this blocks code tags, best you can do is when your in the editor window writing your reply, you can set "no-script" to temporarily allows scripts(bottom right button option in the browser) it reloads the page and you have all your code tags available, then revoke temp pemissions, seems to be more efficient like this, certainly for browsing the forums. I also have a flash blocker add-on, i don't think flash is having much effect though.

EDIT: Really fast now, with "no script", what i said about the code tags you may just be able to manually write the tags, i'll try it now, which would solve that, (yes you can) so just disable all scripts.

Code:
     	while (infile)
    	{
    		string temp;
    		getline(infile, temp);
    		cout << temp << endl;
    	}

PowerPoster

My guess is that one or more of the advertisers is using some doggy Ajax that ties up the rendering thread of the browser window.

It has been nasty for days but even feels worse today.

Almost certainly the ads though.

Seems to be loading normally here.

Seems ok now.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

Depends on what you can call "ok". If I don't do anything to the site, my regular front page load has 99 requests and it takes me over 10 seconds to get it all loaded! And I don't have that slow of a connection (24/1 ADSL). Even if we account for the trans-Atlantic data transfer that is a very slow result.

So I have done something about it. First of all, I have given feedback about this site being slow for a few years by now. In the past I've even given some suggestions on how to improve the performance. But the only thing really happening is more and more ads, making the site even slower. Here is what it looks like when I analyze the connection with Firebug:

Name:  vbforums_performance_default.png
Views: 103
Size:  76.3 KB

Yeah, that is quite a horrible result. To get things into acceptable levels I've made some design changes that affect only myself: I've installed Stylish extension (it is available for both Firefox & Chrome) and have simply hidden a few elements. And these days browsers are wise enough not to load what they don't display.

Here is the result when I use Stylish together with YesScript:

Name:  vbforums_performance_tweaked.png
Views: 106
Size:  74.0 KB

Much better, no more over 5 seconds wasted of my life on each page load. You can find a link to userstyles.org in my signature where you can download the style I use for VBForums.

Of course the site management may not like this, but this is only the eventual end result of keep pushing more and more and cluttering things up. If "ad revenue" is an issue, I could say the amount of effort, time & code I give to the community far outweights that issue. For now I keep enjoying the much better performance of the modified site style as well as better usability.