dcsimg

Thread: I dislike Hotmail.

Addicted Member

I dislike Hotmail.

So I recently made the switch to Gmail from Hotmail, and let me say it is one of the best things I have ever done. With Hotmail, I frequently had messages landing in my spam folder, some of which were innocent e-mails. But with Gmail, I've only had 2 messages land in my spam folder. It seems like every innocent e-mail goes straight to my inbox.

While trying to set up a vacation reply on Hotmail (so I could ask anyone who sends an e-mail to that address to change the e-mail address on file to my Gmail account) I kept getting a message that said something along the lines of, "Your vacation reply is too long." Hotmail says that this is an anti-spam feature but they wouldn't have to do that if they would just figure out how Gmail's spam filter works. They said something like, "Keep logging in to Hotmail for a few days and then you'll be able to create a vacation reply." No way am I gonna do that!

Re: I dislike Hotmail.

Welcome. I've been using Gmail since 2004. I now have 3 additional accounts set up and used through Gmail. Labels are the best thing in the world

EDIT: Btw, I always thought Hotmail was crap. I used Yahoo before Gmail. I love it how Yahoo advertised "4MB of storage! Up to twice as other email providers" and were selling "premium" 100MB boxes for like $25. Then when Gmail came with the initial 1GB they quickly increased to 100, an then more in short time. Obviously they were just being cheap-asses.
    Last edited by baja_yu; Feb 1st, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu View Post
    Welcome. I've been using Gmail since 2004. I now have 3 additional accounts set up and used through Gmail. Labels are the best thing in the world
    Actually, I've had my Gmail account for some time; it was merely gathering dust whilst my Hotmail account was being used. But, I'm never,never,never, and a million more times never, going to go back.

Then when Gmail came with the initial 1GB they quickly increased to 100, an then more in short time.
    And the storage keeps growing.

I actually still have the Yahoo account. I use it to register on pain-in-the-ass websites that require registration for every little thing. I hate those.

Yeah, I had problems like that with hotmail as well! I even tried Yahoo but eventually switched to gmail because both hotmail and yahoo disable the pop3 ability for free accounts so I was no longer able access my access via outlook.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I have Gmail configured to fetch my Hotmail mail.
    Nice thing is that spam messages that come through in Hotmail are caught in Gmail spam
    But I rarely use my Hotmail address anymore.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

I agree that GMail is essentially one of, if not the best email service offerings on the internet. If it isn't for the little things like labels (essentially folders, but you can assign more than one "folder" to an email); the fast-yet-slim trademark Google interface (no b.s. - apart from the ads of course); access to IMAP and POP accounts; and those labs extension things which can enhance features in GMail, then it would be the massive amount of storage space (I think it's >7gb right now) and the glorious spam filter.

My only criticisms are that it is Google - and they aren't well known for their great privacy, and the GMail disk size isn't shared across to Google Docs - I really don't like having 1GB for all my work documents thanks. Not only that, but of course, Google Labs can and has broke my GMail experience before. It doesn't happen so much now, but still...

Regardless of those faults, I still use GMail since the email service is better than the competition. If the competition can replicate these features, then I'd gladly hook onto them instead.

I used to use Hotmail, but back in 2003 or 2004 I switch to Gmail. I did set up a vacation reply in my hotmail and I logged in once every 2 months for roughly a year before letting it go. I also at the time switched my MSN messenger login to use my gmail address as well. I don't miss hotmail in the least, Gmail has been so much better from the start and with the google labs stuff that keeps adding features I can turn on/off, I highly doubt I'll ever leave Gmail.

The only down side to Gmail is back in 2005 or 2006 they, like everyone else from 2000, started rejecting attachments that contain source code files. I know Gmail has always blocked sending emails with attachments that contain exe & dll files as well as passworded zip & rar files, but when they block zip files that contain a *.vb, *.cs or even a *.sln text files, it's really ridiculous. But every blocks those now too, so I'm used to uploading it somewhere then emailing a link instead.

Since changing the settings in hotmail to only allow users in my contact list to reach the inbox, I have yet to see a piece of spam. I had Gmail and hotmail, and I only ever use the latter.

Yeah, the exe attachment blocking annoyed me at first but I understand why they put it in. I usually just rar the file or rename the extension to something like xex. For some reason it allows exe files in rar but not zip.

Also one thing I dislike about Hotmail is that the page is so incredibly crowded (non-IE browsers at least).
    I like clean interfaces

edit: Disregard that.. Seems they have done some improvement lately.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Yeah, I had problems like that with hotmail as well! I even tried Yahoo but eventually switched to gmail because both hotmail and yahoo disable the pop3 ability for free accounts so I was no longer able access my access via outlook.
    I still use Yahoo and I have full POP3 access. I always use Outlook for viewing & sending my emails.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by kregg View Post
    I agree that GMail is essentially one of, if not the best email service offerings on the internet. If it isn't for the little things like labels (essentially folders, but you can assign more than one "folder" to an email); the fast-yet-slim trademark Google interface (no b.s. - apart from the ads of course); access to IMAP and POP accounts; and those labs extension things which can enhance features in GMail, then it would be the massive amount of storage space (I think it's >7gb right now) and the glorious spam filter.

My only criticisms are that it is Google - and they aren't well known for their great privacy, and the GMail disk size isn't shared across to Google Docs - I really don't like having 1GB for all my work documents thanks. Not only that, but of course, Google Labs can and has broke my GMail experience before. It doesn't happen so much now, but still...

Regardless of those faults, I still use GMail since the email service is better than the competition. If the competition can replicate these features, then I'd gladly hook onto them instead.
    I pay $5.30 a year to Google for the service. All my disk space is shared and I get 20 GB in total.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Since changing the settings in hotmail to only allow users in my contact list to reach the inbox, I have yet to see a piece of spam. I had Gmail and hotmail, and I only ever use the latter.
    Exactly the same here...

I mostly use hotmail, but I plan to gradually reverse that to gmail. The reason for that is that now I have an iPhone, and it is easy to check gmail on it with one press of a button.
    To check hotmail on iPhone I have to go into the browser. (There are free apps to hotmail though, i did not try any of them yet...)

Right now I'm only using 2% of 7548MB on gmail.

I use gmail primarily for storage alone. It annoys me too much to use as a regular e-mail.

GMail works fine. I like it because its POP3 integration lets me use Outlook2003 which I use for all my mailboxes as well as on my Blackberry. Even the web client is excellent compared with the other's I've seen. Never did care for HotMail or Yahoo.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Hotmail.. hotmail ...

Seems I have heard of this. But can't place it yet.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
    Hotmail.. hotmail ...

Seems I have heard of this. But can't place it yet.

Let me Ask Jeeves that for you...