dcsimg

Thread: Jump Lists & Other features acting strange

Stack Overflow mod​erator

Unhappy Jump Lists & Other features acting strange

I have a brand-new OEM Windows 7 computer from Acer. When I click on any item in a jump list, apart from the items "Close window", "Pin this program to taskbar" and the one that actually starts the program, it just opens C:\Windows\system32. The same thing happens when I use Task Lists from the Start Menu, when I click any button or link of a certain type in the Control Panel, and in other places as well. Among the buttons and links that don't work are (in the Backup section): the "Back up now" button, the "Manage space" link, the "Turn on schedule" link, the "Change settings" link, "Restore all users' files", and "Select another backup to restore files from". "Recover system settings or your computer" and "Restore my files" work fine, however.

Does anybody have this issue? How can I fix it?

Re: Jump Lists & Other features acting strange

How long have you been experiencing the problem?

Edit:

Does this help?
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Ever since installation (both times): 2 months before the re-install and 3 months afterwards.

(It had problems when it was brand-new )

No, that doesn't help... it did reset my jump lists and things but it was the same.

Have you scanned your laptop for malware and viruses and removed any if found?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

It's not a laptop And yes I have, none at all... but this was happening before we hooked it up to the internet.

Ah ok! Do you have the install disks or created an install backup? Might be worth reinstalling Win 7 (last resort). Also, have a look here to see if there is a solution to your problem.

Yes, I have reinstalled already... I'll take a look at the threads, thanks!

I wonder if it is just a problem with the OEM version, have you tried a non-OEM version?

Can't afford it. But everyone else's I've seen (including another OEM model also made by Acer that has an AMD processor and is different in a few other ways too) works.

And I looked on the website, but everyone's problem seems to be similar but unrelated - Jump Lists do not appear, are empty, or do nothing when clicked. Still, I tried the fixes - nothing.

What are the differences with the model that the jump list is working on? Specs wise. Although, I don''t know how the specs would cause the problem you are experiencing.

AMD processor, 1GB less RAM, 150 GB or so less hard drive space, and that's about it. It has a smaller case too.

You could use Program Steps Recorder to record the steps to reproduce the problem then post the report details here.

Okay.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You might be able to edit the paths of the shortcuts using Jumps List Launcher.

Nope. Even when adding them, same result.

Quote Originally Posted by minitech View Post
    Nope. Even when adding them, same result.
    Well, I have nearly run out of ideas! How about asking the store you bought it from to see if they can help? Or even Microsoft technical support?

Edit:

Have a read of this.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jan 23rd, 2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Adding more!

Saw that not the same problem. No I haven't tried contacting them, will soon. Thanks for the help!

Okay, actually, an update - some of my "Recent" task lists work. VS 2010 and Paint.NET, but not Firefox. Maybe clearing them helped and I just needed to build them back up... I'll see what happens.

So they worked all along?

No, Firefox is still not working and Jump Lists aren't either. I don't know if they worked all along because the lists just appeared recently.