Thread: Which database is best for my application ?

Which database is best for my application ?

Hello everybody,

I am planning to write an application in VB to be linked to a database and then try to sell it under commercial licence.

As I don’t want to increase the price to be paid for this application I need a free database.

I looked on the Internet and found MySQL but the GPL license prevents me to distribute the whole package “my application+MySQL” with two different licences.

I also found out PostgreSQL and this database seems to be under the licence point of view. Can anybody confirm this ?

Are there other alternatives to PostgreSQL ? Basically I am looking for a free database, small footprint, that can be linked to Visual Basic. My application will run on several pc in a network environment.

Many thanks !

Pio Pio

Re: Which database is best for my application ?

Welcome to VBForums

There are many free database systems you can use, including the various versions of Access files, and two different editions of SQL Server.

There is some generic advice in the article Which database system should I use? from our Database Development FAQs/Tutorials (at the top of this forum)

It would be a good idea to give us more details about your situation, such as:
    • which "VB" you are using
    • the biggest size the database is likely to get to
    • whether the database is shared between multiple users, and if so how many could potentially connect to it at the same time

Hi there and thank you for your answer

In answer to your questions:

- I use VB 2008
    - the biggest size the db would be should be around 4 or 5 gb
    - the db would be shared among several people. I guess the maximum would be 20 people having access to the db at the same time

I worked with Access in the past but what I am looking for is a a client-server architecture because the users could be in different locations, potentially in different countries.

SQL server could be a good option but not sure it comes for free and there are no fees to be paid.

Many thanks

Pio Pio

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Welcome to VBForums

There are many free database systems you can use, including the various versions of Access files, and two different editions of SQL Server.

There is some generic advice in the article Which database system should I use? from our Database Development FAQs/Tutorials (at the top of this forum)

It would be a good idea to give us more details about your situation, such as:
    • which "VB" you are using
    • the biggest size the database is likely to get to
    • whether the database is shared between multiple users, and if so how many could potentially connect to it at the same time

The verison of SQL Server that is free is SQL Server Express 2008 R2. This will allow for a database to contain data files up to 10Gig.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

PowerPoster

Write an ASP.NET application, and put it on a server. Then it won't matter what database you are using (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc....), and you can access it from anywhere.

That's another good alternative ! Thank you, I will think it over Michael !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael View Post
    Write an ASP.NET application, and put it on a server. Then it won't matter what database you are using (MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc....), and you can access it from anywhere.

Use Entity Framework, it abstracts Database access layer. This way you can give the customer a choice of ANY DBMS to use (as long as you have scripts that create tables for different databases)

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Use Entity Framework, it abstracts Database access layer. This way you can give the customer a choice of ANY DBMS to use (as long as you have scripts that create tables for different databases)

Hi Serge,

Sorry if I am replying late... a bit busy here...

This is very great news !!! I didn't know this VB feature. I have started to look into it last night but it looks very promising.

Do you have an idea on the overall performance of this tool ? I mean, in the average, how slower is EF compared with the classical use of db ?

Many thanks

Pio Pio

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMazzone View Post
    The verison of SQL Server that is free is SQL Server Express 2008 R2. This will allow for a database to contain data files up to 10Gig.
    Concur. That's what I'm using for my application and it is just excellent. It performs exactly like full-blown SQL Server. I have 4 stations all running against it and it performs fine.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair