Thread: WPF and SQL Server 2008

Hyperactive Member

WPF and SQL Server 2008

Hello,

Some years back we developed a business application in VB 6.0. When VS 2008 came out, we upgraded the entire application to .NET. Our application communicates with SQL Server 2008 and displays data mostly in GridView (and similar) controls.
    We're looking to further develop out app by upgrading the UI. So my first choice was to try WPF. The technology itself looks really promising and powerful, but one thing I'm not sure about is how to manipulate data from database. We still need to communicate with the database, display data in some sort of GridView controls, enable printing etc.
    Reading through some books that cover this subject I couldn't find anything that could convince me WPF is the right choice. So I'm really interested to see if anyone here has some first-hand experiences with WPF - SQL SERVER - ADO.NET.

Thank you!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: WPF and SQL Server 2008

Moved To WPF, WCF, WF

Re: WPF and SQL Server 2008

How would you manipulate data in a WinForms app? It's the same thing. The biggest difference is the UI rendering... you use XAML rather than a pure gui. It takes some getting used to. Might want to take a stroll through the WPF forum area. It provides a rather rich data templating capability, but it takes a lot of thought and effort to set up. You have to have the end design in mind when you do it. It's not like in WinForms where you can drop a bunch of controls down and re-arrange them later.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *