dcsimg

Thread: IDE eats too much memory?

Exclamation IDE eats too much memory?

I just want to settle one issue I'm having with devenv.exe (VS 2010).
    It eats about 140 Mb of memory even on the simplest project (empty form). Isn't it just a little bit too much for a development environment?

Is that behavior normal and I should start thinking of a new notebook or is there something wrong with my system/VS installation?

Also, I'd be glad to hear any recommendations on improving the IDE performance. I wish I could return to vs 2008, but there're too many projects targeted for .Net Framework 4 and I really like some features of VS 2010.
    If only it could work a little bit faster.

Re: IDE eats too much memory?

That's how VS2010 runs it seems now. I don't know why it uses more memory, could be that it's WPF?

My PFU goes from 300 up to 600+, i just assume it's how vs always will be

All that memory usage? That's the point of using an IDE.

At my workplace the IDE sometimes runs to a point when the system starts to run low of virtual memory. WPF alone can't have this effect compared to VS 2008 or can it? It looks pretty, granted, but sometimes it takes about 5 seconds to unroll an IntelliSense hint. Seriously, it's not a multimedia presentation
    Oh, well, if it's normal then I'd just have to apply for a more powerful PC, I guess.

Still, I wonder if there some ways to improve IDE performance by switching off some unnecessary features? Some options or command line args?

King of sapila

Are you absolutely sure that you need to buy a new PC vs waiting for the service pack?
    I'm not saying it will fix memory problems (although you can report it to Microsoft for investigation) but if you currently don't need the new features of vs2010 you can lay low on 2008 rather than spending for a new PC.
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Are you absolutely sure that you need to buy a new PC vs waiting for the service pack?
    I'm not saying it will fix memory problems (although you can report it to Microsoft for investigation) but if you currently don't need the new features of vs2010 you can lay low on 2008 rather than spending for a new PC.
    I could. But I'm too fond of some nice things in 2010 I don't wan't to lose. Besides, many projects are already converted to 2010 and downgrade is a painful process. And most importantly -- I'm not the one who'll be paying for a new PC. After all, I've an employer company. ))) I just need to apply for one and provide some reasonable excuse for the upgrade.

I've noticed that running on an SSD has drastically improved the load time and responsiveness of the IDE, so if you are getting a new notebook, try and get an SSD.

Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix View Post
    Haven't they got a limited lifetime?
    Um... I don't think so. SSDs are supposed to last longer than HDDs because of the lack of moving parts.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

King of sapila

Aren't SSDs supposed to be a bunch of memory that somebody stick a sata up it's a$$ ?
    Slow as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by weirddemon View Post
    Um... I don't think so. SSDs are supposed to last longer than HDDs because of the lack of moving parts.
    But AFAIK there was a limit on read/write cycles in them. Several million or so. Perhaps some newer models have overcome this limitation?

They do have read and write limitations in them. Many manufacturers have mitigated some of this risk by blocking off part of the drive capacity to be used to replace areas that go bad. So a 60GB SSD is actually a 64GB drive with 4GB in reserve to account for areas going bad.

Also, you are going to be limited in size of the SSD unless you have a large budget. A 60GB SSD still runs around $100, when you can get almost a TB for the same price in a traditional drive.