Thread: [RESOLVED] Copy records

Resolved [RESOLVED] Copy records

Hy again ,

I have another quastion :

How do i copy a specific record from one table to another?

I have the table : Products with ID , Name , Price , Code fields . And the table : Temporary with ID , Name , Price , Code fields.

When i search a product after it`s code and the product is in database , the program will copy the ID , Name , Price and Code of product in the table Temporary.

King of sapila

Re: Copy records

If i read correctly you need to create a temp table.
    ...Err that's my answer
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

It`s called Temporary , it`s not a temp table.It could be called New or Purchased.

Can anybody help me ?

Are you trying to do this using SQL in the database or in an application? If it's the former, what database? If it's the latter, what language?

I`m using Visual Basic 2005 (i`m student , and this is what i get for free )
    And i`m using SQL in a database.

The Ideea : The operator puts a code in a text box , clicks on the add button , and the product copies in the table Temporary

That doesn't really answer my question.

Frenzied Member

What jmc wanted you to say was that you are doing your SQL in an application. He is an advanced programmer and sometimes has trouble understanding learners.

I believe you want a SQL statement like this:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO DestinationTableName (DestinationFieldName1, DestinationFieldName2, ect)
    SELECT SourceFieldName1, SourceFieldName2, ect
    FROM SourceTableName
    WHERE  Any valid where clause
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

Quote Originally Posted by MarMan View Post
    What jmc wanted you to say was that you are doing your SQL in an application. He is an advanced programmer and sometimes has trouble understanding learners.
    No, that's not what I wanted. I wanted an answer to my question. What you have posted there is specifically the first choice I offered, not what you say it is. It's SQL in the database. I specifically asked what database in that case. The language is only important if it's not being done in the database, i.e. data is specifically retrieved into the application, processed and then the result saved back to the database. In what you have posted above there will be no data processed in the application. It's all done in the database. I understand fine. It's others who don't understand when they don't read the actual words of my posts.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by recpilu View Post
    The operator puts a code in a text box , clicks on the add button , and the product copies in the table Temporary
    If that isn't enough information to indicate that it is a VB application then, well nuff said. It is quite obvious to me.

That SQL statement is very easily incorporated into an application, I know, I have done it, many times. And I believe recpilu has enough skill to use it as is, if not, then he'll let us know.
    VB6 Library

INSERT INTO DestinationTableName (DestinationFieldName1, DestinationFieldName2, ect)
    SELECT SourceFieldName1, SourceFieldName2, ect
    FROM SourceTableName
    WHERE Any valid where clause

At the last line

WHERE Any valid where clause

Here should be the textbox from where to take the code of product and find a match in my database to copy it in the Destination Table , no ?

Should it look like this :

WHERE textbox1.value ?

Frenzied Member

Correct. If you have any problems post your code and we'll help.
    VB6 Library

If that isn't enough information to indicate that it is a VB application then, well nuff said. It is quite obvious to me.

That SQL statement is very easily incorporated into an application, I know, I have done it, many times. And I believe recpilu has enough skill to use it as is, if not, then he'll let us know.
    So, VB is the only programming language that uses text boxes and buttons? There is nothing in the statement that you quoted that suggests VB over any other language. What say that it is VB is this:
    I`m using Visual Basic 2005
    That is made irrelevant by this though:
    And i`m using SQL in a database.
    I specifically asked:
    Are you trying to do this using SQL in the database ...? ... what database?
    You even posted SQL code that has no connection whatsoever to any application programming language, which supports my point. How do you know that the SQL you posted will be valid though, if you don't know what database it's for? You made assumptions because relevant information was omitted. Your assumption may be correct but, then again, it may not. If the information that was requested had been provided, no assumption would have been necessary. That is my point. I know that beginners don't know everything. That's why I ask questions. If they're answered, I can provide informed advice.

SQL IS A LANGUAGE NOT A DATABASE type. For Example there is SQL Server from MS, MySQL for the open source crowd, mSQL from Hughes Technologies, SQLite

and others
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Frenzied Member

Sorry, I didn't know you were stuck on tunnel vision. Just because I was able to determine what he wanted and you weren't is no reason to get flustered. Relax, we are supposed to be helping people, not bickering amongst ourselves. What will that really accomplish?
    VB6 Library

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    INSERT INTO Temporary (Name, Price, Quantity)
    SELECT Name, Price, Quantity
    FROM Products
    WHERE textbox1.value
    End Sub

And it gives me 19 errors :

Error 1 'ProductsBindingSource' is not a member of 'Imobiliare.Temporary'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 2 'ProductsTableAdapter' is not a member of 'Imobiliare.Temporary'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 3 'ProductsDataSet' is not a member of 'Imobiliare.Temporary'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 4 'ProductsTableAdapter' is not a member of 'Imobiliare.Temporary'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 5 'ProductsDataSet' is not a member of 'Imobiliare.Temporary'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 6 Name 'INSERT' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 7 Method arguments must be enclosed in parentheses. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 8 Name 'INTO' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 9 Comma, ')', or a valid expression continuation expected. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 10 Name 'Pret' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 11 Name 'Cantitate' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 12 End of statement expected. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 13 'Select Case' must end with a matching 'End Select'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 14 Name 'Name' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 15 End of statement expected. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 16 Name 'FROM' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 17 Statements and labels are not valid between 'Select Case' and first 'Case'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 18 Name 'WHERE' is not declared. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb
    Error 19 Statements and labels are not valid between 'Select Case' and first 'Case'. H:\Projects\Imobiliar\Imobiliar\Temporary.vb

Frenzied Member

There is a link in jmc's signature that explains a bit on how to use the SQL in code.

Check that out and try it, then post your code if you are still having problems.
    VB6 Library

@MarMan: I have a small doubt while reading the posts. In the WHERE part, don't we need to include the field (or attribute) of which we are describing the condition ?

For example:
    Code:
    SELECT name, address FROM employees WHERE empid=12345
    Sorry for my stupid question. But I'm a newbie too..

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Frenzied Member

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If anyone ever tells you that it is their either ego getting in the way or someone told them that once and they wish to lash out at anyone. If someone doesn't know the answer to a question, then it is a valid question, ALWAYS.

And you are correct akhil, that SQL will fail, it needs to be in quotes, needs ADO. I saw that recpilu really didn't know how to use SQL as I though they did, so I just pointed them to a link.
    VB6 Library

I used the code :

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim sql As String = "INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod From Produse where Cod = TextBox1.value"
    Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(sql)

End Sub

It gives me no error , but it dosen`t work.
    I read that page and another 10 forums and there is the same code without the "Dim sql As string" part and everybody says it works
    Should i write something else or what?

Sorry if i annoy you with my dumb quastions but i realy want to do that in my program

Ok you created an SQL string command (your Dim sql)
    You created a New SQLCommand.
    You have not assigned the Command a Connection. You have not executed the Command.

You would you expect anything to happen?
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Frenzied Member

Your questions don't annoy me. But I am concerned that you are not grasping the method to use ADO. Let's make believe you have a value in the textbox of 1001 and it is valid. with this statement:
    Code:
    Dim sql As String = "INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod From Produse where Cod = TextBox1.value"
    You get
    INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod From Produse where Cod = TextBox1.value

But I don't think that is what you want, I think you want something like this:
    INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod From Produse where Cod = '1001'

Which is basic string building. If you do not get this down you will continue to have problems. What you want is something like this:
    Code:
    Dim sql As String = "INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cantitate , Cod From Produse where Cod = '" & TextBox1.value & "'"
    But that is not the best way to go either. If you read the link that I posted from jmc's signature, it explains parameters. You really need to read the whole thing because the method I just showed you can cause problems. And you are missing a command that that FAQ provides, that's why it doesn't do anything.

I'm happy to help, but you also need to help. Read the WHOLE FAQ, because I can tell by your code that you did not.
    VB6 Library

Ok MarMan , thank you for being patient.
    I will read the FAQ again , I will read about ADO.NET because i don`t know what it is.

If i don`t succed tonight i will post tomorow.
    If i succed i will let you know.

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If anyone ever tells you that it is their either ego getting in the way or someone told them that once and they wish to lash out at anyone. If someone doesn't know the answer to a question, then it is a valid question, ALWAYS.

And you are correct akhil, that SQL will fail, it needs to be in quotes, needs ADO. I saw that recpilu really didn't know how to use SQL as I though they did, so I just pointed them to a link.
    Thanks for clearing my doubt

And sorry for hijacking the thread...

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

I didn`t got it resolved , i searched on google for my problem but didn`t got any result .
    For 4 hours i`m searching 1 code that works and nothing , copy record from one table into another.
    I run out of options, i really don`t know how to do it.In that SQL it tells us how to replace values , or what? I don`t get it.

King of sapila

Ok.
    Forget about Visual studio for a moment.
    Can you do what you want with an sql query?
    If you can then you can simply make a stored procedure inside your sql server and use it in vb with SqlCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Frenzied Member

sapator has another good option. Post your code so we can guide you.
    VB6 Library

Hello , i searched on msdn , google and asked some quastions and here is how i`ve come so far.

Dim con As New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=H:\Projects\WindowsApplication1\WindowsApplication1\Database1.m df;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True")
    con.Open()
    Dim sAppendSql As String
    sAppendSql = "INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cod FROM Produse WHERE Cod = '" & TextBox1.Text & "'"
    Dim myCommand As New SqlCommand(sAppendSql)
    myCommand.Connection = con
    myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    con.Close()

The code dosen`t give any error but it is not doing anything , it dosen`t show me the record that i wanted to copy.
    Or is not the correct code ?
    ID = ID , Nume = Name , Pret = Price , Cod = Code <- the translation from Romanian to English

Based on the tutorial: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_insert.asp
    Code:
    INSERT INTO table_name (column1, column2, column3,...)
    VALUES (value1, value2, value3,...)
    I'll test it now.

It`s still not working
    I have this code :

Using con As New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=H:\Projects\WindowsApplication1\WindowsApplication1\Database1.m df;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True")
    Try
    con.Open()
    Try
    Using myCommand As New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO Casa (ID , Nume , Pret , Cod) SELECT ID, Nume , Pret , Cod FROM Produse WHERE Cod = @Cod")
    myCommand.Connection = con
    myCommand.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Cod", TextBox1.Text)
    myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    End Using
    Catch ex As Exception
    MessageBox.Show("The insert gave an exception " & ex.Message)
    End Try
    Catch ex As Exception
    MessageBox.Show("The Connection gave an exception " & ex.Message)
    End Try
    End Using

It works only with the records that i added with the "insert into .. values" code. When i add a new record using the form it saves it in the database but the COPY thing dosen`t work
    And when i try to delete the records from the table , i delete them but when i restart the application they are still there. Any solutions ?
    Last edited by recpilu; Dec 7th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.

Frenzied Member

Your code looks much better now! Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by recpilu View Post
    It works only with the records that i added with the "insert into .. values" code. When i add a new record using the form it saves it in the database but the COPY thing dosen`t work
    And when i try to delete the records from the table , i delete them but when i restart the application they are still there. Any solutions ?
    Of course it only works with the records you add with the "insert into", that is the only code you have that will add records. Unless you are discussing something other than what you posted.

I don't see any DELETE statement in your above code. So of course nothing can be deleted. Why would you want a copy method to delete? That is a move method.

You need to work on one thing at a time AND post the code you are working on, AND tell us what you want to do AND tell us what it does.

So pick ONE thing and we can help you with that. When that works we can go to the next one.
    VB6 Library

I used what John McIlhinney said in his blog about parameters and it worked fine.
    Now i need to refresh the form or data grid in order to view what i added in my table without restarting the application.

I tried Form2.Refresh()
    Me.Refresh()
    ProductsDataGridView.Refresh()
    But none of them worked.

Any solution ?

Frenzied Member

Is your grid bound or unbound?
    VB6 Library

Yes it is bounded to the table Products

Frenzied Member

Try setting the datasource to nothing then back to whatever you have it set to. You really should be supplying code snippets.
    VB6 Library