dcsimg

Thread: Causes for FTP "Login Time Exceeded"?

Frenzied Member

Question Causes for FTP "Login Time Exceeded"?

I am using a modified version of this FTP class:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadf...ftpclient.aspx

The class has worked in various other applications I have written, however in my present application I am having some server issues. When my FTP class attempts to connect to the server for the purpose of Downloading files, the server responds with a Login Time Exceeded, Closing Connection error message. I have increased the Login timeout time from 60 seconds to 240 seconds on the server but to no prevail.

What I can't seem to make sense of is that the FTP class is able to establish a connection when I use its NLIST method, but not when I use the Download method. This would appear to be a error within the FTP Class. So I can better resolve the error, I would like to know what the causes are for the message "Login Time Exceeded". I am going to try create a new project in Visual Studio and attempt to connect to the server with the Download command and see if it is just a 'typo' in the FTPClient.cs file.

Lively Member

Re: Causes for FTP "Login Time Exceeded"?

Run a packet sniffer, e.g. wireshark, and examine the traffic generated when you use nlist, or when you download
    I wrote a book Visual Studio 2008 Programming
    Amazon.com / Visual Studio 2008 Programming / By Jamie Plenderleith & Steve Bunn

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by noahssite
    I am going to try create a new project in Visual Studio and attempt to connect to the server with the Download command and see if it is just a 'typo' in the FTPClient.cs file.
    The code worked when I executed it in a new project. I don't believe it is a spelling error though, as I copy and pasted the code.

Quote Originally Posted by plender
    Run a packet sniffer, e.g. wireshark, and examine the traffic generated when you use nlist, or when you download
    Should this packet sniffer be on the FTP server or on my computer (the client)?

Lively Member

Either side could be interesting.
    Try running it on the client side for starters
    I wrote a book Visual Studio 2008 Programming
    Amazon.com / Visual Studio 2008 Programming / By Jamie Plenderleith & Steve Bunn