Thread: Did anyone get kinect?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Did anyone get kinect?

I picked one up yesterday, but it would seem my living room is neither deep enough where the TV is, nor do I have enough lighting for it to work properly.

So it was pretty much a bust. Didn't even get to try any games, because I just couldn't get the thing to work well even in the menus.

I guess that is the major shortcoming of these devices. You can sell millions of consoles, because all you need for that is a TV. Once you up the requirements to include lots of lighting and 8-10 feet of unobstructed space in front of the TV, it really limits the potential market.

Re: Did anyone get kinect?

I totally agree with you. One of the big advantage of LCD/Plasma/LED televisions is that you can watch it from closer. Not everyone can manage to have 8-10 of unobstructed space in front of it.
    Alex
    .NET developer
    "No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." (Walter Kovacs/Rorschach)

Things to consider before posting.
    Don't forget to rate the posts if they helped and mark thread as resolved when they are.

.Net Regex Syntax (Scripting) | .Net Regex Language Element | .Net Regex Class | DateTime format | Framework 4.0: what's new
    My fresh new blog : writingthecode, even if I don't post much.

System: Intel i7 920, Kingston SSDNow V100 64gig, HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB, External WD "My Book" 500GB, XFX Radeon 4890 XT 1GB, 12 GBs Tri-Channel RAM, 1x27" and 1x23" LCDs, Windows 10 x64, ]VS2015, Framework 3.5 and 4.0

I think there is potential for such a device, but this one seemed to be a bit unrefined. Especially in terms of the xbox interface. The motion and voice control can't really control the dashboard, only a small special section of the dashboard, that you can't seem to customize at all.

If I ever get my basement finished, that would give me the room I need. In the mean time, I think I am going to sell it to someone who has the room for it.

Frenzied Member

That seemed to be the central theme of reviews I've read about Kinect: it's proving difficult to provide the space requirements necessary for its proper functionality. I'd like to give the Kinect a try sometime, but I don't see myself buying it.

Me? Kinect? No way, I'm too cool for that! I bought the Move instead!

As an ex-PC gaming addict, I have neither devices mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    If I ever get my basement finished, that would give me the room I need. In the mean time, I think I am going to sell it to someone who has the room for it.
    You just bought it. You can't return it?
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Frenzied Member

Ah ballads,

I dont have that sort of space either

Quote Originally Posted by EntityX View Post
    You just bought it. You can't return it?
    I was thinking they would charge a restock fee, but I did check and it looks like you can return "accessories" even if open, for 7 days.

I would consider this an accessory, so I will probably just take it back to the store today.

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Haven't bought it, but Xbox division of Microsoft seems to be the only competent part of the company.

Kinect technology seems amazing.

They could use it for so many things, the start of an A.I. build.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me

It is amazing, it however suffers from the same thing a new console does. No one really knows how to make great games for it. Launch titles always suck for the most part, and this is certainly no exception.

I wasn't able to return the device to gamestop because, get this, they claim kinect is a "game console". Yup, even though it does nothing at all unless plugged into.. yeah, a GAME CONSOLE, it itself is also a game console. They specifically told me it is NOT a controller of any sort, and because they offer a product replacement plan on it, that means it is a system. Note that they also offer a product replacement plan on the gun controller you get when you buy cabela's dangerous hunts 2011. Guess that is a system too...

In any event, I hooked it back up last night and proped it up as far as I could on about 25 dvd cases(cant put it above the TV without mounting a shelf, and even then, it would only give less than a foot extra distance, and I have a surround speaker above the TV and kinect isn't supposed to be near speakers).

It works slightly better than it did before, but I still can't get the range it asks for.

I'm going to hold onto it for now, and hopefully some good titles come out that I can actually use.