dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is .net best choice for web page

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is .net best choice for web page

Hi gurus

As a novice in web programming, i was told many a times that LAMP is the way to go ie Linus, Apache, MySQL and Php. Because of my little experience with VB6 via Access and the freely available VB Express and the SQL Express I would imagine that .NET can do the job too.

Should i go into this path? My mission is to create web site involving payments plus some data entry eg booking of some facilities with the main data kept at a LAN window system.

Re: Is .net best choice for web page

The main advantage of the LAMP option is that everything is free, unless you want to pay someone for support. If you have the expertise to setup and administer all the parts yourself, the only thing you have to pay for is the hardware, the requirements for which may be relatively modest.

If you go the .NET route, various parts will be free but you'll have to pay for at least a Windows license. If you want to run a recent version of Windows Server, your hardware requirements may also be a little higher.

As far as functionality goes though, ASP.NET can do everything you want and more. Plus, it's all very user-friendly, which may well be a big advantage for those starting out.

I'd go with LAMP, less overhead all around, more simple and to the point.

Less resources on the machine, no costs for running it, no need for special tools. The main reason to go with .Net is if you are trying to make it interact with Microsoft stuff, such as a Domain, desktop application, etc...

PHP isn't that hard to learn and you can get cheap hosted LAMP boxes. LAMP is easier to secure and totally oriented to the web.

MS Environment is a lot of work. Have to run the BASE OS, Then IIS, Then you need the .Net stuff on that, someone developing in presumably Visual Studios. Must patch, must patch...

Info on me and where my ramble ramble comes from: PortfolioOnFire.com (I will add this to my signature later)

Addicted Member

Thanks to both of you for the views.

I have actually installed ubantu on a vmware virtual machine via win7.64 bit and is thus planning to plot around with php.
    At the same time i have been tinkering with vb05Xpress.net for some time. As Intell rightly pointed out, we have to deal with win applications in the LAN system so i just play around with both.

Whatever, there are too many things to learn though. For example in trying to communicate with a Toshiba PABX phone system recently that uses TCP/IP, i have my 1st encounter with window component IIS & monitoring tools. That is how elementary i am in this web curve. I am actually looking for prof help on how to communicate with this PABX system. If u know actual experience on this do let me know by directly messaging me.

If u are still following this thread can you tell me why Chrome / FireFox gives a blank page reading a .xml file while IE display it ok.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by FuzMic View Post
    If u are still following this thread can you tell me why Chrome / FireFox gives a blank page reading a .xml file while IE display it ok.
    Please keep each thread to a single topic and each topic to a single thread. This question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, or even VB.NET for that matter.