dcsimg

Thread: Display List of File Types and Load Associated Program

Display List of File Types and Load Associated Program

Hi Guys

I have a previous thread which wasn't very clear. This is what i need:

A list of File Types (.txt, .csv, etc etc) (Displayed As "Text File", "Comma Sepera....")
    Once the File Type is Selected, It needs to load the most suitable program to create that type of file (Text = Notepad, CSV = Excel??? Notepad???)

Please help... i could just load the list by hand and tell each item what to run. but i assume there is a way to recognise the extension and run the best program?

Note this is to create a file... so i would probably have a list of options and keep the extension as a string in a tag for each item. How do i get the computer to load the best program associated with that extension string?

Re: Display List of File Types and Load Associated Program

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Warp View Post
    Hi Guys

I have a previous thread which wasn't very clear. This is what i need:

A list of File Types (.txt, .csv, etc etc) (Displayed As "Text File", "Comma Sepera....")
    Once the File Type is Selected, It needs to load the most suitable program to create that type of file (Text = Notepad, CSV = Excel??? Notepad???)

Please help... i could just load the list by hand and tell each item what to run. but i assume there is a way to recognise the extension and run the best program?

Note this is to create a file... so i would probably have a list of options and keep the extension as a string in a tag for each item. How do i get the computer to load the best program associated with that extension string?
    Sorted it with this:

Code:

Private Sub Form2_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ListView1.View = View.List
            ListView1.Items.Add("Word Document")
            ListView1.Items(0).Tag = "WINWORD.EXE"
            ListView1.Items.Add("Text File")
            ListView1.Items(1).Tag = "NOTEPAD.exe"
        End Sub

Private Sub Openprogram()
            Dim startInfo As New ProcessStartInfo()
            startInfo.FileName = ListView1.SelectedItems(0).Tag
            Process.Start(startInfo)
        End Sub

Private Sub Selection(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ListView1.SelectedIndexChanged
            OpenProgram()
        End Sub

Re: Display List of File Types and Load Associated Program

If you wanted to do this "automatically" then you'd have to read the data from the Registry. Windows has a dialogue that lists all registered file extensions and their default applications and lets you edit them and the information it displays is stored in the Registry. You could read the extensions themselves from the Registry if you wanted or, if you had your own list of extensions, you could check the Registry to see if they are registered and, if so, get their default applications.