Thread: Get Microsoft Notepad Source Code?

Lively Member

Get Microsoft Notepad Source Code?

Is it possible to see how notepad works in visual basic? Like see all the events and all. My friend said it's possible to open programs in notepad; but I've googled it and I can't seem to find anything. So is it possible? If so how? ty

Re: Get Microsoft Notepad Source Code?

Do you mean seeing the source code for Notepad? Or do you mean viewing source code in notepad (as you seem to suggest that you friend said you could).

It MAY be possible to view similar code to what was used for developing Notepad. You would need to decompile the exe, although I would like to advise you that I believe that doing this is illegal in the US at least (I could be wrong I live in the UK, so I'm not 100% about US law).
    If the application was developed in .NET (which I don't believe it is) then it would be possible to use something like Reflector to decompile it and get approximately the source code back, although it will not have any comments or anything like that.
    If it is not developed in .NET then while I'm sure its possible, I don't know how you could go about doing it.

If you're just looking to view source code in Notepad, then well thats completely possible, but it won't look as nice as it does in the VS IDE, and you would see a lot of other information which the IDE generally hides from you as you don't need to see (I.E. the form designer stuff, at least in the most recent versions of VS).

I hope that this helps

Satal

notepad is just a simple text editor, there are loads of examples on the www.
    it is possible to open source code files in notepad

Quote Originally Posted by Satal Keto View Post
    you would see a lot of other information which the IDE generally hides from you as you don't need to see (I.E. the form designer stuff, at least in the most recent versions of VS).
    not in .Net. it's all in the .designer.vb file. but in classic vb, certainly