Thread: Exact Code Produces Different Results

Lively Member

Exact Code Produces Different Results

So, I have this code.

vb Code:
    1. Case Keys.U
    2.                     With Me.TextBox1
    3.                         Dim selectionStart As Integer = .SelectionStart
    4.                         Dim selectionLength As Integer = .SelectionLength
    6.                         .SelectedText = underline & .SelectedText & underlineend
    7.                         .SelectionStart = selectionStart + underline.Length
    8.                         .SelectionLength = selectionLength
    9.                     End With
    10.                 Case Keys.I
    11.                     With Me.TextBox1
    12.                         Dim selectionStart As Integer = .SelectionStart
    13.                         Dim selectionLength As Integer = .SelectionLength
    15.                         .SelectedText = underline & .SelectedText & underlineend
    16.                         .SelectionStart = selectionStart + underline.Length
    17.                         .SelectionLength = selectionLength
    18.                     End With

It is inside if e.modifiers = keys.shift and a select case e.keycode

The code inside case keys.u is the exact same as keys.i, yet whenever I press control-i, it adds a whole bunch of spaces between the "underline" and "underlinelength" strings. So control-u produces

vb Code:
    1. [u][/u]

but control-i, with the exact same code, produces

vb Code:
    1. [u]                  [/u]

It's getting really frustrating... can someone please shed some light on this ridiculous malfunctioning?

Urgh, and what I find EVEN MORE annoying is that if I replace e.keycode = keys.i with e.keycode = keys.p, there is no problem!
    Last edited by Raeki; Oct 15th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Re: Exact Code Produces Different Results

Have you put a breakpoint in those two cases to see what the selection length is? What I am wondering is whether the issue is within that code, or in the selectedtext. Of course, it would probably look the same, so I guess the actual comparison would be on the selectedText.Length property.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Lively Member

I found that control-i seems to put that big block of spaces in... its one big character

Any way to cancel that? The auto-recognition like control-z is autmatic without me coding anything

Do you have any hotkeys defined on that computer? A big chunk of space like that sounds like a tab, or some similar thing. If you identify that, you might figure out why it is being added. Offhand, I don't know of anything. Of course, if it always happens, and the length is one higher than it should be, you might just remove that one character whenever you press that key combination.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing