Thread: How to add a digital signature (code sign) to a VB6 DLL?

Threaded View

How to add a digital signature (code sign) to a VB6 DLL?

I have written a VB6 DLL as a companion to an Excel VBA program (the VBA loads as an Excel .xla file, it presents forms, and calls the DLL).

I have been simply compiling the VB6 dll and placing it in the same program folder as my Excel VBA (.xla file) and after registering it they play together well it seems. I have been using INNO setup to create the installation setup file.

But now it's time to go public with this commercial application and I realize now it would be best to purchase a certificate for code signing.

Can anybody point me toward complete information on how to code sign;
    1) the VB6 DLL file
    2) the Excel VBA file (.xla),
    3) the INNO SETUP setup file

Has anybody done something like this who can help me out?

Can I code sign each one independently and then they will all play well together? Remember, I do not presently deploy my DLL as a package, I simply include it in the setup file and let INNO register it on the machine being installed on.

I'm pretty sure I need to make changes to my registry to timestamp my signature so that it continues to work beyond 1 year. And I do see "Digital Signature" under VBA Tools so perhaps the VBA signing isn't very hard once I install a purchased certificate.

But I don't see any menu option (or Help) in my installation of Visual Studio 6 Professional Edition (only the VB6 module is installed) that leads me to "Digital Signature" for a DLL and have found nothing about it on the web yet.

I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me out a bit with this. I'm getting nervous that my now "finished" (at long last) project will fall apart due to this code signing process.

At Verisign I found the following:
    https://knowledge.verisign.com/suppo...R190&actp=LIST

Windows XP/WIndows 2000/Windows 2003
    To sign, use the SIGNTOOL.EXE utility. The SignTool tool is a command-line tool that digitally signs files, verifies signatures in files, or time stamps files. For information about why signing files is important, see Introduction to Code Signing. The tool is installed in the \Bin folder of the Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) installation path.

SignTool is available as part of the Windows SDK, which you can download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=84091
    You will also need your Digital ID file (generally called MyCredentials.spc) and your private key (MyPrivateKey.pvk).

Not sure, but from what I've been able to find so far, it looks like the SIGNTOOL.EXE might be integrated with VISUAL STUDIO .NET and that I won't be able to use it from a DOS prompt (I gather that the "command-line" mentioned at VeriSign is a VisualStudio command-line).

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. --Brian
    Last edited by rummaging; Sep 18th, 2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: rephrased question for more clarity about VB6 code signing in particular and incorporated info I've found since first posting.