Thread: production envionment application

Lively Member

production envionment application

Hi,

I need some help about a production envionment application.

I don't even know what is the best program to use: VB6, VS2008, or what?

There will be about 10 to 15 users with their PC connected to a server. Data will be on the server.

Each user will have full access only to their job fields.
    They can see the other fields, but can't edit them.
    For example, there will be fields as:
    Order received by:
    Buyer:
    Kit preparing:
    SMT build:
    Conventional build:
    Testing:
    Packing:
    Shipping out:
    Order closed by:

And only the buyer assigned to the job (there are 2 buyers in our company), will be able to edit the Buyer field.
    And so on, all the users.

There will be a super-user that will have full access to all fields, but any editing will be logged into his/her name.
    They will write any comments about the job, date when they received the job, date when they finished the job, and they can upload a picture if they want to point to a specific problem about the job, etc...

I have never done an application involving more users and/or saving data on server.

How do I start it?

Thanks.

Re: production envionment application

Which language you choose can be dependent on which you are familiar with. If you have only worked in VB6, and still have access to it, you can still use that, but keep in mind that it is now eight years and several versions out of date. You can get free versions of .NET2010 Express, so that is the cheap route, but if you have only worked in VB6, you will find there is a bit of a learning curve for the far more versatile .NET.

The bigger question in your post is about storing the data on the server. The obvious solution would be a database. Don't be using Access for that, as it has some odd issues when used by many people on a server. A better choice would be SQL Server. The full version can get pricey, though it is probably worth it. However, you might be able to get by with SQL Server Express, which is also free. If this is a long term project for a business, I wouldn't go with Express for that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Agree with Shaggy. Go with VS.Net 2008. 2010 is too new and I'm hearing that there are problems with it. 2008 is stable. Also agree that SQL Server is going to be your best bet. If it's a corporate-level application I'd suggest you just ante up the cost for SQL Server 2008. You won't be disappointed with it.

You could definitely pull off what you describe with VB6 but that technology is getting pretty dated. The flexibility and power in VS2008 is worth the learning curve. IMHO VS2008 is as good as VB6 ever was and far more powerful. I used VB6 for most of its 12-year (so far) life. It took some doing to pry it out of my hands. I still maintain some VB6 stuff but anything new goes into VS2008 (C#) now.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

Actually, I use 2010 almost exclusively. It is quite stable, as far as I can see. I am using it to target framework 3.5, but you could also just target 4.0, which gives you a few advantages. I wouldn't be afraid of 2010. I rather like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Actually, I use 2010 almost exclusively. It is quite stable, as far as I can see. I am using it to target framework 3.5, but you could also just target 4.0, which gives you a few advantages. I wouldn't be afraid of 2010. I rather like it.
    Glad that's working out for you, Shaggy.

I'm not "afraid" of it - I just don't see any point in coughing up money to upgrade to it. I'm not beyond the capabilities of VS2008 Standard which I bought recently. I have VS2010 on my machine at the office and, so far, just don't see any point in upgrading my own equipment to it. I'm using VS2008 Std and SQL Server 2008 Express as my development platform and everything is working. I'm able to deploy to my web hosting service and develop solid desktop applications with it.

Until I run into something that I just can't do with my existing tool set I'm going to stay put. If I'm going to spend $$ on anything for my software business it's going to be on stuff like business cards and advertising.

I finally reached the point where I realized that VB6 was going to start running into support problems - I doubt the same will happen with VS '08 for a long time to come.

-Max
    The name's "Peck" .... "Max Peck"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." - Red Adair

I agree with that. If you are spending the cash to upgrade, there is no compelling reason to make the move that I see. If you are just going with the free Expres version, or if you have somebody else buying the software for you, then I would say that you should go with 2010.