Thread: Default Browser VB

Addicted Member

Default Browser VB

hi Vb

i Would Like to know How To Set My Web Browser As default Browser , But dont know Where to start i Know its got something to do with the registry , But if you know anything like this please reply , just trying to learn visual basic 2008 to become a good developer

thanks

pillhead2007

Re: Default Browser VB

thanks
    amrita

Addicted Member

please read description didnt ask for IE default browser ....
    i wanted to make my own internet browser that becomes a default browser like firefox or IE but instead its my own that opens up
    any more ideas??
    but thanks for your help

Google will give you the answer in just a few minutes.

The answer lies within the registry.
    CodeBank contributions: Process Manager, Temp File Cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley
    "game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

Addicted Member

been searching for days can you point me in the right direction

Addicted Member

i have been searching this for days can you point me in right direction please

That's because you're not searching for the right things.

You have to realize that programming is largely research. How can you set your browser as the default if you don't know how the other browsers do it?

I would suggest you stop trying to search for VB stuff an just figure out how other browsers do it. Determine that, then you can translate that into code.

I know how it's done, but you won't learn if I just give you the answer.

"game trainer" is the same as calling the act of robbing a bank "wealth redistribution"....

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

File type and protocol handlers are stored in the registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Files are identified first by name extension ('.htm' and '.html', for example) which points to a content type.
    For example, on a system with Firefox set as the default browser, the value of the '.html' key is 'FirefoxHTML'. The 'FirefoxHTML' key describes the nominal MIME content type of the file, the icon representing the file, and the command used to handle the file — under the 'shell' subkey. You might want to create your own key like this one which contains the command used to invoke your browser, and then set your browser as the default by changing the '.html' key to point to your key.

Protocols are handled in the same manner. Look for 'http' and 'https', and look under the 'shell' subkey for the command which is executed to navigate to a URL of that protocol.
    There are others, like ftp, which you might want to handle as well.
    Last edited by penagate; Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Exclamation Re: Default Browser VB

Quote Originally Posted by weirddemon View Post
    I know how it's done, but you won't learn if I just give you the answer.
    You were learning how to program once. I bet you often didn't know what to search for either. I suggest that, if all you have to contribute to a topic is "I know, but I won't tell you", then don't contribute at all.

The point of this forum is to help people to learn by assisting them, not sending them to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by penagate View Post
    You were learning how to program once. I bet you often didn't know what to search for either. I suggest that, if all you have to contribute to a topic is "I know, but I won't tell you", then don't contribute at all.

The point of this forum is to help people to learn by assisting them, not sending them to Google.
    Programming is programming and research is research. I told him to skip the programming part at the moment and just try to figure out how other browsers do it.

The single largest mistake new developers make when attempting to research is assuming there's a readily available solution in their language, exactly how they need it.

If I just gave him the information instead of trying to help him search, he wouldn't learned anything. Chances are, he didn't do any searches prior to my post that would lead him to this info or that were different from what was mentioned. If he had, he would have learned how browser's do it. At the very least, he could have posted back what he had found and we could have assisted from there. Not only this, but the OP never said exactly what he searched for. "I searched" either means he didn't or didn't search for the right information.

When I started out, I did the exact same thing and noticed 90% of everyone else at my level did as well. When I finally realized that my searches could be done independent of programming, generally speaking, that allowed me to find so much more information much quicker.

Granted, I was a bit more blunt than I should have been, but it gets frustrating when you see a million and one posts every day from people who want nothing else than for the work to be done for them.

My intentions, how ever ill performed, were pure.

That being said, this is a good article I used a while back when looking for the same information. It explains the same information that penagate offered, but with a bit more details. This was found by searching 'default browser registry' in Google and was the second result.
    Last edited by weirddemon; Aug 30th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.

Off-topic: You can build your own "www-viewer" You can use the IE-component which comes with .NET and you can use the xulrunner, which is used by Mozilla. I advise the last one, but a bit more work, but then you only have to do it once. (see my codebank submission) But this is just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Radjesh Klauke; Aug 31st, 2010 at 02:20 AM.

If you found my post helpful, please rate it.

Codebank Submission: FireFox Browser (Gecko) in VB.NET, Load files, (sub)folders treeview with Windows icons

Okay i'm going to be the bad guy here and give you the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pillhead2007
    i have been searching this for days can you point me in right direction please
    For days hmmm... your internet must take days to load Google?
    I spent seconds to find this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzCBfINRBs
    My Codebank:
    Windows Vista & 7 Glass Effect & Limit the amount of times your application could be opened.
    Pause Your Code & Check the OS name

The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim.

Currently learning: Java

Coding can be a learning experience or

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

I agree with penagate and would suggest that if someone asks a question and you want to help them then give them the answer straight out. Otherwise if it frustrates or annoys you you always have the option of not answering. Yes, people learn better if they do it themselves but you should assume that they have tried and failed. On occasion I've said to someone something like "here's a hint.... Let me know if you need more help" but I've done that only if I've built a "relationship" with someone.