Thread: [Serious] Have you seen UFOs ?

PowerPoster

[Serious] Have you seen UFOs ?

Please note I put "Serious" in the title.

When I was young my mother woke me up around 1 AM, and pointed to the window, then said look up.
    At first I saw stars, but then I noticed that there 3 lights that looked exactly like stars (that's why I did not notice them right away), but those "stars" were moving as if they were playing with each other. They were making all kinds of shapes, circle, triangle, moving back and forth, making right angle turns, etc... they were moving as if they were controlled by kids lol...
    I watched them for like 15 minutes, then I went back to sleep.

If you are saying there it was a projection, well, projections work on clouds, but that night was a very clear sky, I could see many stars (besides the 3 moving ones).

So, I did not see them close, but I am sure it could not have been anything else other than UFOs.

So has anyone else had seen a UFO(s) ?

Re: [Serious] Have you seen UFOs ?

Exactly how serious is that [serious] tag?

PowerPoster

Are you saying that just because were talking about UFOs the "serious" tag does not belong ?

Well, to me it's pretty serious... because I happen to believe in UFOs, and there is no question in my mind that they don't exist, especially since that day.

Is that serious enough for you ?

Serious enough, but I personally don't believe much. My logic for it is that if there is an alien race intelligent and advanced enough to travel all the way to Earth from their planet, they would have established contact by now. Or maybe all sightings by now are alien teenagers who just got their galactic flying licenses and are playing pranks and doing it to trip us out. That's just my opinion. I mean, if by UFOs we're actually talking about aliens, not just any Unidentified Flying Object. I'm sure that if I'd launched my car into the next county the air traffic control would detect it and classify it as a UFO.

EDIT: BTW, the first post was just a joke, haven't actually read the post by that point, so I wouldn't derive anything from it. I respect everyones right to their own opinion.
    Last edited by baja_yu; Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael View Post
    and there is no question in my mind that they don't exist
    I find it hard to disagree with that quote.

Personally, I don't doubt that there is alien life out there. It would be great if we could find some, as it would cause fits for most religions. If we were created in gods image, what the heck are they? Basically, the only reason the god squad can get away with lots of stuff is because we are the only species we talk to.

I also believe that there are flying objects that I can't identify. Some of them even hit me.

However, I don't believe that there are UFOs buzzing around the earth. It would be nice, but I don't believe it. The alternative explanations are always the simpler one, so in the absence of more concrete proof, I would have to go with the simpler explanation.

So what is the simpler explanation? When I was young, a whole bunch of people reported to the police in a few towns around me that they saw a large, orange ball floating low on the horizon. I had seen it to. It was the moon. Seriously. Several people saw fit to report the moon as a UFO. Based on that, and a bit of logic that I don't want to go into, I think it is more likely that people are misunderstanding the images reaching their retinas.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I think most 'UFOs' are likely just "optical illusions" or in the rarer cases highly classified government 'airplanes'.

Hyperactive Member

I actually find it harder to believe that this rock is the only one out of billions that evolved life. Whether they are flying around in spaceships and making crop circles is another question. Possible but it does not seem very intelligent to me. Joyriding alien teenagers has always been my only explanation too.
    Slower than a crippled Vista
    More buggy than a fresh XP install
    Look! Down the road, some 50 miles behind the drunken snail.
    It's Ubuntu!

I think that chances that we are the only intelligent (if you can call us intelligent) evolved life in the universe are very small, but if they are anything like us they lack the technology and the life expectancy to get out of their own back yards (the moon).

PowerPoster

Maybe see Drake equation.

I haven't seen any UFOs in either the broad sense ("What was that?") or the narrower sense (alien visitations in our time). That former is a bit boring, the latter might be cool if true.

Then there is always the Prime Directive or variations to explain why Klaatu and Gort haven't made their public visitation yet.

PowerPoster

Reminds me of the SG-1 universe, where there were both good and not-so-good Greys (the Asgard) visiting us for millennia. Not to mention others like the Goa'uld, Ori, etc.

I also enjoyed the Area 51 books, more military thriller fantasy than Science Fiction. "Hard" enough fiction (as opposed to your Harry Potter or sword and sorcery stuff) to be enjoyable with some willing suspension of disbelief.

Sorry, I wandered off into fiction.

Hyperactive Member

Sorry for the off topic post [It is not very serious] but one of our comedians has a great story about this.

One night he was driving home after doing a gig where he was an Elvis impersonator. He had not got changed at this stage. This particular night there were some strange lights seen over Sydney. Never been explained but many people saw them. He sees them and pulls over to the side of the road to have a look. There is another guy already parked in front and he is standing beside his car looking at them. As he hears our man get out of his car he says "Hey can you see that" and turns around. There is Elvis. He bolts into his car and drives off as fast as he can. This was many years ago but the poor guy is probably still undergoing therapy.

Just thought I would share before I go back for more probing.
    Slower than a crippled Vista
    More buggy than a fresh XP install
    Look! Down the road, some 50 miles behind the drunken snail.
    It's Ubuntu!

Just thought I would share before I go back for more probing.
    We're talking about aliens, and you're doing probing. Do I dare to ask what you are probing?

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Show me a video of an Alien / Alien spacecraft (that's not a fake) or even better an actual Alien and i will be more than happy to believe in UFO's, until then i will continue with my policy of incredulity towards the whole thing.

n.b. - this doesn't mean i think there are no aliens out there, i just dont believe that they have visited us.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Frenzied Member

UFO's exist alright, but just because they exist doesn't mean they're alien. If you see a helicopter in the sky and don't know its a helicopter, then it's a UFO.

I don't believe any aliens landed here because due to human nature, it would be impossible to keep it a secret if they crashed and died. And if they lived, well everyone would know without a doubt.

As for space travel, we don't even know what it is like past the heliosphere, perhaps too much radiation for life? Maybe not. But what is for certain, all life that doesn't colonize space goes extinct eventually. And for interstellar travel, that would require generations or some type of suspended animation, with little to no benefit to the host world so it would be hard to justify the cost of materials/time/life. Not saying its impossible, just rare. Then they would have to pick our planet out of how many?
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

CVM - a couple things: 1) There was a recent corona mass ejection that has been causing some activity along the northern areas. The auroa beaoruealis (northern lights) were visible as far south as Minnesota. 2) I just saw an artcle about a meteor shower. So it's possible a combination of the two caused the phenominon.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

First of all, what I saw happened like 20 years ago.

Meteors don't fly in circles.

And "corona mass ejection" does that look exactly like stars ?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Show me a video of an Alien / Alien spacecraft (that's not a fake)...
    That would be impossible, because regardless of how real the video would be, you would always say "It's fake", because it's contradictory to what you believe.

"First of all, what I saw happened like 20 years ago." -- well excuuuuse me... you didn't mention that.

"Meteors don't fly in circles." -- you'd be surprised.... they don't necessarily always travel in straight lines

"And "corona mass ejection" does that look exactly like stars ?" -- not directly, but it could be interacting with somehting that could.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Maybe they were fireflys?
    VB6 Library

If I helped you then please help me and rate my post!
    If you solved your problem, then please mark the post resolved

PowerPoster

You know what, your right, UFOs don't exist, what was I thinking !

It was very stupid of me to start this thread.

Movies are the only place where I have seen UFOs.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog