Thread: Works locally, but not on host.

Hyperactive Member

Works locally, but not on host.

HI Guys,

My website doesn't seem to work the way it does on my local machine. What I do on wallstate.asp is I call another website using a http request. then I put it in cell and parse it out. Seems that the host doesn't allow me to call another website.

Line 68: If i = 0 Then
    Line 69: quote = cell(3).Split("""")
    Line 70: Else : quote = cell(4).Split("""")
    Line 71: End If
    Line 72: quote2.Add(quote(3))

Source File: E:\web\letstren\wallstate.aspx.vb Line: 70

Stack Trace:

[IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.]
    _Default.Submit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\web\letstren\wallstate.aspx.vb:70
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +118
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +112
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

this works locally here. Not sure why it doesn't work on your host. If your interested in seeing this first hand go to letstren.w04.winhost.com click on market summary.

Also another thing that's strange is if you go to the stock page and use IBM as a ticker symbol it doesn't work. However, if you use any other ticker symbol like ORB, VZ, T, AAPL TSLA or any others it works fine. I don't have any coding behind the scenes that does with just a particular one. They all get processed the same way.

Is there any good ways to debug stuff on a hosting providers site?
    My Websites
    SharpMP3 - MP3 Design Articles www.sharpmp3.com
    Yobbers - Job Search www.yobbers.com
    Lets Trend - Methods For Riding Stock Trends www.letstrend.com

Re: Works locally, but not on host.

Thread moved from 'ASP, VB Script' forum to 'ASP.Net' forum

One of the best ways to debug a remote website is to add logging to your site. Add appropriate log statements to indicate progress through your code, and what variables values are etc.

One of the better logging libraries out there is log4net. If you look in the FAQ Section of this site, you will find an article that I wrote about setting this up.

As for your problem, this is basically a problem with an array that you are using, not having the specified index in your code. Is it possible that you can show all the code that you are using within that section of the code?

Gary

Hyperactive Member

Actually I think it was the host not allowing me to do a web request where the information that the cell holds. I believe this is the case because I switched hosts and now it works and I didn't modify this. Thanks for the information on debugging, but this has been solved.
    My Websites

Hey,

If you don't might me asking, which host were you with before, and who are you with now?

Also, if your question has been answered, can you remember to mark your thread as resolved?

Thanks

Gary

Hyperactive Member

I started out on arvixie, then went to mocho, and then winhost and finally landed on discountasp. Don't know why the others didn't seem to work. It probably would of but it would of required a lot more time and effort to get the settings to work. Bur for DiscountAsp it just all clicked right in the beginning. Don't know why.
    My Websites

I have heard good things about DiscountASP, (never heard of the other two ). Currently, I am with SoftSys, and never had any problems with them.

Gary

Hyperactive Member

I've heard softsys is really good too. That was the next one I was going to try. When I first figured out that my site didn't work on arvixie I went to discount asp. Then they wouldn't help me setting up the blog and so I got annoyed and left. After trying two hosting providers I came back and decided to deal with it. Now the site works fine. Two things from I've come to hate since working on letstrend. I hate Hosting providers and graphs. ulg. stay far away from them if you can help it!
    My Websites

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakkjakk View Post
    I've heard softsys is really good too. That was the next one I was going to try. When I first figured out that my site didn't work on arvixie I went to discount asp. Then they wouldn't help me setting up the blog and so I got annoyed and left. After trying two hosting providers I came back and decided to deal with it. Now the site works fine. Two things from I've come to hate since working on letstrend. I hate Hosting providers and graphs. ulg. stay far away from them if you can help it!
    MS Chart isn't too difficult for graphs.
    Sean

Some days when I think about the next 30 years or so of my life I am going to spend writing code, I happily contemplate stepping off a curb in front of a fast moving bus.

The good thing that I have found with Soft Sys is that they will quite happily allow you to have Full Trust on your sites, all you have to do is drop them a support ticket. They also have quite a nice application installer, so you can roll out things like WordPress, DasBlog and DNN directly to your site. It is quite slick.

Gary

Hyperactive Member

MS Chart isn't too difficult for graphs
    Well yes and no. The thing is your hosting provider has to have the control installed on their end. That's the big problem with it.
    My Websites

That's not strictly true. You can include the referenced DLL with your application.

Gary