dcsimg

Thread: Access VBA and Outlook Security Warning

Lively Member

Access VBA and Outlook Security Warning

Hi,

I've researched this question on quite a few sites, and was able to put together a few ideas, but I'm still having trouble. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

Here's the background of my project: I'm running Access 2007, but the database I have was created in an earlier version (2000 I believe). I am also running outlook 2007.

When a student is accepted into our program, we change their status from Applicant to Accepted (using options in a combobox). My supervisor asked me if I could add a field that would tell who referred the student. Then the first time the status was changed from Applicant to Accepted, an email notice would go to our program assistant, who would then notifiy the person referring the student that he/she was accepted.

I thought this would be much easier than it's turned out to be. I did some resarch and the only suggestion I could understand was to send the email using the SendObject command in VBA. However, every time I send the email the Outlook Security Warning that cautions me about a program trying to send email on my behalf pops up. When I click Allow the email is sent. The problem is, I don't know what to do about this warning.

I know very little about security, only enough to make me paranoid, and I don't want my database or my email account to become less secure by virtue of sending email programatically. I'm afraid to try to disable the warning because I don't know what consequences it could have for other things. I've heard of click yes, but I don't know if it's the best solution. I'm afraid of creating vulnerabilites because I don't think I know enough to see the big picture.

I also thought about making our program assistant's email into a hyperlink and sending the email that way, but I'm not sure if that would work. Is this a good idea? Could anyone please give me some advice? Thank you!

Re: Access VBA and Outlook Security Warning

That's OK...

Even I have done this as I need to send lot of email via VBA...

Use this.

http://www.everythingaccess.com/tuto...curity-Warning

One more link for you to read...

http://sogeeky.blogspot.com/2007/04/...y-warning.html

Hope it helps...
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

Microsoft MVP: 2011 - 2015 IMP Links : Acceptable Use Policy, FAQ
    MyGear:
    OMEN by HP - 15-ce073tx with Win10+Office 2013. || Mac Book Pro (10.6.8) with Office 2011

Lively Member

Thank you,

I really appreciate the reply. I looked at the first article, and my concern was that I don't think I'll be able to lower my security on outlook. I'm not sure our network admin would allow it. I've heard a few people mention SMTP as a workaround to avoid having to deal with Outlook. Of course I have no idea what that even means. Would you recommend looking into it? Is using SMTP a good solution for this problem? Thank you!

PowerPoster

SMTP
    simple mail transfer protocol

there are several methods to directly use smtp, 2 are
    vbsendmail ' downloadable, free to use, comes with instructions and full source code
    cdo.message ' available in most versions of windows from XP, can be installed in earlier versions, simple to code

there are many examples posted, some here and more in vb6 forum, with some discussions on pros and cons

i have /still have applications using vbsendmail, but currently prefer cdo.message
    i do not have outlook installed
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

See if this link helps you...

http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

Microsoft MVP: 2011 - 2015 IMP Links : Acceptable Use Policy, FAQ
    MyGear:
    OMEN by HP - 15-ce073tx with Win10+Office 2013. || Mac Book Pro (10.6.8) with Office 2011

Lively Member

Hi Again,

After researching various solutions, including the ones recommended on this board, I found a very easy one. I was able to compile the necessary information into a report and set up a Macro in Access to email it. The report just emails as an attachment. It works beautifully and I don't get the security warning.

I tested this solution in my fake database and now I'd like to implement it in my real database. I just wanted to ask the experts if there's any reason I shouldn't do this, or any reason you wouldn't recommend this course of action. Thank you for all your help!