Thread: Carrying a DSLR around...

Frenzied Member

Carrying a DSLR around...

Hi all,

I'm just back from holidays in Alicante. I brought my Sony Alpha and thought I would get lots of use out of it. The bag I brought was a Kata 3in1 10. This is quite a small bag but I found carrying it in the heat was a nightmare. I also found the Sony strap quite restrictive also.

First question, What strap do you use?

Second Question, What bag do you use when your going out to photograph. I understand the need for a bag to hold chargers, lenses and other stuff but if your trying to keep it light when travelling out to town or view wildlife what do you use? Just on a strap or a really light bag?

<Rant> Also I am annoyed that the sony NEX has a different mount (E not A) as I wanted one and now I cant have it. </Rant>

Re: Carrying a DSLR around...

I use the original canon strap that came with the camera. How is your strap restrictive?

If im going out on a longer trip I use a Kata DR-465. It's able to hold my camera with extra battery grip and kit lens + my 70-200 lens, in the "main camera compartment". I use the other compartments for misc stuff such as remote trigger, filters, cleaning stuff etc.

Great for carrying rocks too.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Frenzied Member

I think its too small. Maybe because I would prefer to carry the camera by my waist as opposed to my neck. I like the bag but that's just as big as mine. I think Id like to go lighter!

I think something like this http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2...&Version=Photo

Ah yes, one of those..a jockstrapbag!

I have never used one of those.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Frenzied Member

Lol, you have to remember too I'm a big guy! Even my kata bag seems tiny on my back!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the straps can be extended. Also - one lens, one body, leave everything else in hotel room.

I tend not to carry a camera by the strap, usually hold it by grasping around the mount end of the lens.

When it's sleeping I keep it in one of these bad boys...

It's perfect for normal use but super perfect for when I'm riding my motorbike :-)

HIre someone to carry the camera for you.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

For short easy going - an expandable sports lunch bag. http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPANDABLE-L.../dp/B001DSZ28S

For medium going - a Kata EXO-12 GDC Medium Shoulder Bag. Nice wide, comfy padded shoulder strap. The back has a wide belt loop you can use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ms_ohs_product

For hard going, I put the gear in watertight (gasketed) plastic boxes & carry them in a rucksack.

Actually, I'm with ILMV. The 18-200mm lens is quite big, so I'm usually grasping it by the base of the lens (where it meets the camera body) and at a slightly upward angle. However, this is because I'm paranoid about other people either bumping into it or running up to me and trying to steal it. I have an inherent mistrust of all humans.

It's a little less safe if you're hanging the camera down at your waist. Considering your height, there's more swing to the camera as you walk. If it were up at your chest, it's better as there's less momentum so it stays closer to your body. Also easier to lift up when you need to use it.

Do you really carry chargers and extra batteries when going out for a day of photos? Why not just charge it the night before?

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    Actually..... I'm paranoid about other people .... running up to me and trying to steal it. I have an inherent mistrust of all humans.
    Wear hiking boots, then people will mistrust YOU.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Vans View Post
    I tend not to carry a camera by the strap, usually hold it by grasping around the mount end of the lens.

When it's sleeping I keep it in one of these bad boys...

It's perfect for normal use but super perfect for when I'm riding my motorbike :-)
    I use the same, or very similar (mine's made by Cannon) backpak. It has reasonable room on the outside for non-camera stuff.

BTW I guess I'm hijacking this thread but I have two lenses that I use regularly. One has a lock so that the lens does not extend by itself when I'm carrying the camera around my neck. The other lens, a telephoto, does not have a lock so it's a constant "battle" to keep it from extending. Are there attachments I could buy the would prevent that? I'm thinking of something like the little strap attachment you can use to attach the lens cap to the camera so you don't lose it when taking photos.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss View Post
    BTW I guess I'm hijacking this thread but I have two lenses that I use regularly. One has a lock so that the lens does not extend by itself when I'm carrying the camera around my neck. The other lens, a telephoto, does not have a lock so it's a constant "battle" to keep it from extending. Are there attachments I could buy the would prevent that? I'm thinking of something like the little strap attachment you can use to attach the lens cap to the camera so you don't lose it when taking photos.
    If you get a thick (as in wide) rubber band, you can put it right around the bit where the movable/zoom part of the lens, it adds friction so the lens won't be extending itself unless you move it yourself. I had this on the 18-200mm, and IIRC, it's called lens creep.

Like this here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorf/2120518848/

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak View Post
    If you get a thick (as in wide) rubber band, you can put it right around the bit where the movable/zoom part of the lens, it adds friction so the lens won't be extending itself unless you move it yourself. I had this on the 18-200mm, and IIRC, it's called lens creep.

Like this here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorf/2120518848/
    Thanks.