PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
Handling large datasets in charts quickely-VBForums

Thread: Handling large datasets in charts quickely

Handling large datasets in charts quickely

I have a collection of 50000 points List<DataPoint> DataPoints;Each item in this collection contains (X,Y) co ordinates.These points have to be drawn using line and path in my line chart.Canvas size may vary.Drawing the entire collection will increase the load time.Hence I need to filter the points in such a way that I can get a sub collection of lesser number of points and this list will not affect shape of the chart to larger extent and also renders quickly.Suppose there are points like (1,2)(2,4)(3,6) which passes through same line.I can exclude(2,4).This method can be used as a first order filter.Can anyone please suggest or help me out how I can filter it further.Like excluding points which are very close to each other?

192.168.0.1 Preferred Animal: Penguin Reason for errors: Line#38

Re: Handling large datasets in charts quickely

Not 100&#37; sure what you're after, but you could combine your 2 ideas (filtering out colinear points and points close to each other) and filter out points very nearly colinear (along the same line). e.g.

(1,2)(2,3.99)(3,6)
    Last edited by SLH; Jul 15th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Quotes:
    "I am getting better then you guys.." NoteMe, on his leet english skills.
    "And I am going to meat her again later on tonight." NoteMe
    "I think you should change your name to QuoteMe" Shaggy Hiker, regarding NoteMe
    "my sweet lord jesus. I've decided never to have breast implants" Tom Gibbons
    Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

Re: Handling large datasets in charts quickely

See if this helps:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function GetReleventPoints(ByVal allPoints As List(Of Point)) As List(Of Point)
    2.     Const MinXDeviation As Integer = 1
    3.     Const MinYDeviation As Integer = 1
    5.     Dim selectedPoints As New List(Of Point)
    6.     Dim lastPt As Point = allPoints.First
    7.     selectedPoints.Add(lastPt)
    8.     For Each pt In allPoints
    9.         If Math.Abs(lastPt.X - pt.X) > MinXDeviation OrElse Math.Abs(lastPt.Y - pt.Y) > MinYDeviation Then
    10.             selectedPoints.Add(pt)
    11.             lastPt = pt
    12.         End If
    13.     Next
    14.     If lastPt <> allPoints.Last Then selectedPoints.Add(allPoints.Last)
    15.     Return selectedPoints
    16. End Function
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog 101 LINQ Samples JSON Validator XML Schema Validator "How Do I" videos on MSDN VB.NET and C# Comparison Good Coding Practices VBForums Reputation Saver String Enum Super Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...