Thread: [RESOLVED] ASP.NET 4.0 Web extension is not enabled on the Web server Error

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

Resolved [RESOLVED] ASP.NET 4.0 Web extension is not enabled on the Web server Error

We have installed the .net 4.0 framework and registered asp.net 4.0 to IIS using aspnet_regiis, but we keep getting this error when we try to create a new (or upgrade an existing) project on our development box.

"The ASP.NET 4.0 Web extension is not enabled on the Web server. <our site address> is targeting ASP.NET 4.0.

Do you want to enable ASP.NET on the Web Server?"

When we hit "Yes", it pulls up another message of:

"ASP.NET 4.0 has not been registered on the Web server. You need to manually configure your Web server for ASP.NET 4.0 in order for your site to run correctly, Press F1 for more details."

Any ideas? That particular message pulls up nothing in a Google search...

Re: ASP.NET 4.0 Web extension is not enabled on the Web server Error

Hey,

What version of IIS are you using?

When you ran aspnet_regiis, did you use any command line arguments?

Gary

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

I'm using IIS7 on Server 2008 R2. The more I read, the more I find that aspnet_regiis shouldn't be needed for IIS7. Is this correct?

I am in the middle of rebooting after an asp.net feature removal and re-install on the server, as well as a .NET framework 4 repair, and I'll see how that goes.

Out of curiousity, what order did you install things?

IIS first, then .Net 4.0? Or 4.0 and then IIS?

Historically, I have seen issues with the order of installation with IIS 6, but I haven't yet ran into one with IIS7.

Gary

"The" RedHeadedLefty

IIS first, then .NET 4. Had ASP.NET dev sites working fine using ASP.NET 2.0. Tried to get 4.0 sites working and ran into the error.

"The" RedHeadedLefty

Ok, I completely removed the ASP.NET feature from the web server, reinstalled, and repaired .NET 4.0, and the error still persists. The 4.0 application pools are all there, and I am able to choose between ASP.NET 2.0 or 4.0 for the version for the pools. Everything seems to be installed correctly, but when I try to create or open a 4.0 site remotely, the error appears, with the same thing.
    Last edited by gigemboy; Jul 8th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.

"The" RedHeadedLefty

On top of that, a default 4.0 web application that is created has the error, but then finishes being created. I can still debug that application, and the application appears to run fine, but the error persists every time we open or create a 4.0 app.

Hmmm, very strange.

I have really only just started playing with IIS 7, so not really sure how much I can add to this, sorry.

Gary

"The" RedHeadedLefty

I was able to fix it. I figured there were issues due to Server 2K8 UAC and trying to open it remotely, so I installed Visual Web developer express, ran it as an admin, and opened up the 4.0 site, and was able to get click Yes on the error message and it registered what it needed to correctly. We can now create sites fine without the errors.

Re: [RESOLVED] ASP.NET 4.0 Web extension is not enabled on the Web server Error

Ah, good to know.

Gary