dcsimg

Thread: Inserting a New Record error

Arrow Inserting a New Record error

Hello,

Here's the code that fails on update with a fail on Insert Into syntax message:

SQLConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=D:\TechTest-NDT.accdb"
    ' SQLConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=D:\TechTest\Database\NDTQA.mdb"
    con.ConnectionString = SQLConnect
    con.Open()
    sql = "SELECT * FROM Questions"
    daQuestions = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(sql, con)
    daQuestions.Fill(dsQuestions, "Questions")
    con.Close()
    Dim cb As New OleDb.OleDbCommandBuilder(daQuestions)
    Dim dsNewRow As DataRow

dsNewRow = dsQuestions.Tables("Questions").NewRow()

'set fields

dsNewRow.Item("Category") = "Materials" : dsNewRow.Item("Topic") = "NDT"
    dsNewRow.Item("Level") = DB_Level.Text : dsNewRow.Item("Question") = DB_Question.Text
    dsNewRow.Item("Answ_1") = DB_QuesA.Text : dsNewRow.Item("Answ_2") = DB_QuesB.Text
    dsNewRow.Item("Answ_3") = DB_QuesC.Text : dsNewRow.Item("Answ_4") = DB_QuesD.Text

dsQuestions.Tables("Questions").Rows.Add(dsNewRow)
    daQuestions.Update(dsQuestions, "Questions")

Any ideas?

Re: Inserting a New Record error

If you get a SQL syntax error when using a CommandBuilder it is almost always because one of your column names is either a reserved word or contains illegal characters, e.g. spaces. There are three options:

1. Change the offending column name(s) in the database.

2. Don't use a wildcard, i.e. *, in your query. Write out the column list in full, which will force you to escape the offending column name(s), which the CommandBuilder will then copy.

3. Don't use a CommandBuilder, instead creating the action commands yourself.

Re: Inserting a New Record error

It would also help to know what the error is.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *