Thread: Basic Questions about FTP and IP Addresses

Basic Questions about FTP and IP Addresses

I'm looking into a ASP.Net project for a friend who has a client at the moment. I just want to make sure that I can log onto her client's machine where they host their site, I'm working from home and not on their domain.

If I can't log in using the account info they gave me, is it possible that they can limit FTP access from outside IPs? Just a question in case I have a problem then I can suggest a solution. "Hey friend, I tried to log in, but the service denied me probably because your client has to include from my outside IP. My IP address is ....." or something like that.

By the way, my home ISP service is through Comcast if that makes a difference.

Re: Basic Questions about FTP and IP Addresses

It is difficult to say exactly, as it will depend on how their network is set up, but the short answer is yes, if they choose to, they can make it so that only selected IP addresses can get access to their resources.

Have you tried using a 3rd party FTP client, like FileZilla, to access the site, before trying to use your own code, or is that what you are doing?

Gary

I'm using FileZilla right now. From what I understand the server was down for a few days.

I'll try to log in and see what I get. Thanks.

Yip, FileZilla is the FTP program that I normally recommend, it is very good.

If you can't connect with that, then either the credentials you are using are incorrect, or the IP address/domain name you are using is not right, or they are blocking the ftp site to a subset of users.

Have you been able to get on?

Gary