dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Access Violation Error during installation

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Access Violation Error during installation

I moved to WIndows 7 not long ago and today tried compiling and packaging an application. During installation this error was returned...

*** ERROR: C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll
    *** ERROR: An access violation occurred while copying the file.

So I tried changing the compatability @ c:\program files (x86)\blah blah blah\vb6.exe from Windows 2000 to Windows NT, recompiled, repackaged and with no better results. I had recently changed that same compatability to Windows 2000 to enable a browser control to be used.

Would this be the problem and if so, what OS would I select for compatibility as their is no option for Windows 7.

Thanks

Re: Access Violation Error during installation

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum, which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong

I'm almost certain that ieframe.dll is part of Internet Explorer, and if so you should not be distributing it at all - and instead simply use the version that is already installed.

Addicted Member

Thanks Si, that seemed to work. The problem then came up with mshtml.tlb and i assume that is also one that shouldn't be distributed. When it was ignored the app installed great.

Should mshtml.tlb be on all Windows machines?

That might also be included with Internet Explorer, or perhaps with certain versions of Windows, but I'm not sure I'm afraid.

Addicted Member

Taking it out seemed to work too.

Another app I have was giving me that old "files on this computer need to be updated then restart etc." on my XP and I read up on it, read the sticky and downloaded the Inno setup compiler. It works great, is easy to use and it is free. They do ask for a donation in which I will send. It isn't required.

Thanks for the help.

Re: [RESOLVED] Access Violation Error during installation

I've never used Inno myself, from a brief investigation it seems like a lot of work to use old technology - the replacement for VB's Package & Deployment Wizard (called Visual Studio Installer) was almost as automatic as it could be, and also uses current installer technology... but unfortunately Microsoft decided to discontinue it a year or two ago.