View Poll Results: BP should be liable for the spill.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree.

11 68.75%
  • No.

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP should be liable for the oil spill.

Addicted Member

BP should be liable for the oil spill.

It's their mistake, not the gov't. I could care less if they had to go out of business or even withdraw money from savings. I can accept other countries helping, though.

Frenzied Member

Re: BP should be liable for the oil spill.

Actually an article in the new york times shows that it was partially the goverment's fault because of its lax drilling rules and policies.

Missing option 3. I don't care one way or the other.

So the argument is that I'm not responsible for my actions if somebody fails to prevent me from doing something bad?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So the argument is that I'm not responsible for my actions if somebody fails to prevent me from doing something bad?
    This is a tough for me to wrap my brain around. Perhaps something simpler is in order.

Let's say I am 12 years old and I take my dad's car for a joyride. So, the question would be, am I responsible because my dad didn't tell me not to take the car?

Yes, I am responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by baja_yu
    Missing option 3. I don't care one way or the other.
    Exactly the type of response I would expect in this case..

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DeanMc View Post
    Actually an article in the new york times shows that it was partially the goverment's fault because of its lax drilling rules and policies.
    One more thing we can thank Reagan and his cronies for back in the '80s.

Remember, the prime motivation for incorporation is to evade personal liability.

Quote Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
    This is a tough for me to wrap my brain around. Perhaps something simpler is in order.

Let's say I am 12 years old and I take my dad's car for a joyride. So, the question would be, am I responsible because my dad didn't tell me not to take the car?

Yes, I am responsible.
    Interesting analogy to compare a multinational company to a 12 year old

I'm not quite sure how this is a reply to my quote, though. It seems like a more appropriate response to RunDeanMc.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

I think he mistook your quote shaggy...... Did you really just call me run dmc? Lol

Frenzied Member

Anyway my point was the blame should be laid on the law makers for not enforcing the law and the law breakers for breaking it. There are numerous articles that show policy was flounced on both sides of the fence for profit!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Personally i Blame Wossname,

I have heard that in return for those Laser cats eyes (paid for by Shell) he single handedly caused the oil spill in the first place.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I believe that until this time there has not been retroactive penalties. Whatever the law said when the event occurred is what BP is liable for. However I don't believe that BP is immune from personal injury lawsuits, but they take a long time and typically only the sharks, hmmmm, lawyers make any money.

So where was (is) the government? Didn't Mr. Obama say last night that they knew that MMS was a mess, but they just hadn't got around to cleaning it completely? I think I heard him say that.

On the suck-o-meter BP is an 8 and our government is a 10. If we fixed our government maybe the problems with BP, the banks, healthcare, etc. would really get fixed. DON'T VOTE FOR THE INCUMBENT! This election cycle will be the third time I have not.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

DON'T VOTE FOR THE INCUMBENT! This election cycle will be the third time I have not
    Out of curiosity what exactly are you trying to achieve with this stance ?

would you prefer all politicians to only server 1 term and then be replaced ?

Or are you just not voting for the current elected representative until someone good gets in office ?

If we fixed our government maybe the problems with BP, the banks, healthcare, etc. would really get fixed
    Do you not think that part of the problem is not just the people but the system, and that the political system needs reform ?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Out of curiosity what exactly are you trying to achieve with this stance ?

would you prefer all politicians to only server 1 term and then be replaced ?

Or are you just not voting for the current elected representative until someone good gets in office ?

Do you not think that part of the problem is not just the people but the system, and that the political system needs reform ?
    My stance was that I voted for whom I thought would do a good job. I think most people do. Sometimes (most) I have been in the majority. But, I have come to understand that they all are pretty much the same. So my new stance is to send a message.

Imagine what would happen if EVERY incumbent lost for the next x election cycles. Would we have:

banks to big to fail. Notice how we still have them.
    oil companies writing their own rules.
    personal interest rates of 30&#37;. Did you see the God Father?
    health care reform.
    etc.

It looks to me like we have a system controlled by lawyers and the rich, for the lawyers and the rich.

And maybe someone could explain how the Supreme Court interpreted this "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." to mean that Companies were people.

If anyone has a better way to send a message (I am to old to use my Second Ammendment rights) please let me know. Voting for the "right" person ain't workin'.

If the choice was between Claire McCaskill and Mickey F'ing Mouse, Mickey is getting my vote. I wrote all of my elected reps about bailing out banks, and they did what I knew they would.
    Last edited by dbasnett; Jun 16th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

"If anyone has a better way to send a message (I am to old to use my Second Ammendment rights) please let me know." - how about running yourself? It's freakishly easy to be an armchair congressional representative. In theory, I get what you're saying about booting incumbents out... and I know why some people think that term limits are good. But experience has shown me that it's not such a hot idea that everyone seems to think it is. We recently invoked term limits to 2 terms at the state level here. Worst thing to be done. It was all in an effort to get one guy out of the unicameral - primarily because he kept blocking some people's "pet projects"... and rightfuly so if you ask me. He forced the legislature to be more fiscally responsible, and prevented the passing of several stupid bills. I don't live in his district, I may not have cared about his outspokeness, but heck, even I'd still vote for him. Then the following cycle, we had a 12&#37; turn over rate as some members were left out due to term limits. But the worst damage came in the following cycle after that when there was a 45% turn over. The remaining members will turn over in the next cycle I think. So now we have a legislature that is more than half green... all for a more than part-time, but less than full-time that pays less than $15k a year plus stipends. The only people that can afford to run are people that own their own busniesses that can be away from it for up to 9months, or the well-to-do that don't need to work...

Personally, I don't know effective an elected official can be if he and those that he has to work with know he's around for a single term. And ina 4-year cycle, you probably end up spending the first two just learning the ropes and figuring out how the system really works.

But, hey, that's just my view on it. Take it for what it's worth... sure the system may seem broken, but term-limits aren't the answer, and at the moment, it's all we got.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member MaximilianMayrhofer's Avatar

I really couldn't be bothered to read that blob of text.

So i'll just disagree with you on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Interesting analogy to compare a multinational company to a 12 year old

I'm not quite sure how this is a reply to my quote, though. It seems like a more appropriate response to RunDeanMc.
    Okay, since mine was so crappy, you do it. The principle is the same. If I do something and it is wrong, I am to blame. No one else.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Personally, I don't know effective an elected official can be if he and those that he has to work with know he's around for a single term. And ina 4-year cycle, you probably end up spending the first two just learning the ropes and figuring out how the system really works.

But, hey, that's just my view on it. Take it for what it's worth... sure the system may seem broken, but term-limits aren't the answer, and at the moment, it's all we got.

-tg
    Effectively the bureaucrats run the Government, the elected officials make the calls based on what the bureaucrats tell them. That's always been the case in Parliamentary democracies all over the world. I am not sure how the system works in the United States.

In a nutshell, imposing term limits on elected officials wouldn't make an iota of a difference until bureaucracy ceases to exist.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
    Okay, since mine was so crappy, you do it. The principle is the same. If I do something and it is wrong, I am to blame. No one else.

Even if you didn't know better?
    Last edited by abhijit; Jun 17th, 2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Crappy English
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    "If anyone has a better way to send a message (I am to old to use my Second Ammendment rights) please let me know." - how about running yourself? It's freakishly easy to be an armchair congressional representative. In theory, I get what you're saying about booting incumbents out... and I know why some people think that term limits are good. But experience has shown me that it's not such a hot idea that everyone seems to think it is. We recently invoked term limits to 2 terms at the state level here. Worst thing to be done. It was all in an effort to get one guy out of the unicameral - primarily because he kept blocking some people's "pet projects"... and rightfuly so if you ask me. He forced the legislature to be more fiscally responsible, and prevented the passing of several stupid bills. I don't live in his district, I may not have cared about his outspokeness, but heck, even I'd still vote for him. Then the following cycle, we had a 12% turn over rate as some members were left out due to term limits. But the worst damage came in the following cycle after that when there was a 45% turn over. The remaining members will turn over in the next cycle I think. So now we have a legislature that is more than half green... all for a more than part-time, but less than full-time that pays less than $15k a year plus stipends. The only people that can afford to run are people that own their own busniesses that can be away from it for up to 9months, or the well-to-do that don't need to work...

-tg
    I didn't say term limits. If you have term limits then we, the people, don't have the ability to send a message. If, theoretically, you can be there for life, but get voted out it is a different message. I personally think term limits are bad because, "Why not, I am only going to be here for x".

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I think the Americans should pay for 100&#37; of the damage.

It's their market forces that give BP the motivation to drill big ****-off holes in the sea bed in the first place.

Self inflicted costs I say.
    I don't live here any more.

Addicted Member

I've personally had it with the government talking about this. For decades, they let BP (among others) get away with safety violations as long the company wrote the check (paid the fines).

Now, all of a sudden, they want to do something. The time for the government to do something was 10 years ago. The most important thing right now is that BP does everything in their power to contain well, clean up the damage, and compensate those whose livelihoods have been comprimised.

This is not a time for politicians to show they are "tough on big oil" so they can gain points in election polls. The grandstanding, especially by Obummer, is making me more sick than the actual disaster, and I'm from Louisiana.

This whole fiasco is no different than the financial crisis. For decades, people on Wall St. did what they wanted, now all of a sudden the government is going to do it's job? The damage has been done.

One thing I can always count on from the government of the US, they will not to close the doors until the last horse has left the barn.

Edit: To answer the question, yes BP is liable. However, I still don't see how Transocean and Halliburton are escaping unscathed.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

As Blakk_Majik says, what about Halliburton and Transocean? Transocean owned the rig in question, and Halliburton were the ones who cemented the wall - which was the bit that failed. It's staggering that out of the three, BP is the only one being pilloried.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com