dcsimg

Thread: Media Player control XP and Win 7

Media Player control XP and Win 7

I am having an issue playing video with an embedded Windows Media Player control. It plays fine on Windows XP but comes up blank on Windows 7. I am guessing it is compatibility between version 11 and 12. Am I correct in thinking that Windows 7 will not play the Media Player 11 control? If so, how do I package my product to work with XP and Win 7? If I develop on Win 7 will the Media Player 12 embedded control play on XP (backward compatible)?
    Should my requirements be that Media Play 11 is installed? I am just confused because I cannot find anyone else having the same issue. Has anyone experienced this or know about it?
    My problems are, Video was playing in Windows 7 but clicking the video gave an untrappable (didnt catch) error (crash) in the Click event of the video... then suddenly (i think after a windows update) the video is not Playing anymore. But it plays fine and does not give the click error on Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Fanatic Member

Re: Media Player control XP and Win 7

As far as I know, the standard DLL file which is used in embedding within applications is WMP9 (If you are referring to WMP).

It shouldn't have any problems playing anything on any windows system.

But if I'm wrong, and there are different WMPx DLLs, you could embed both and use the appropriate one by checking which operating system the application currently is running in.

hmmm, can we get a another opinion on this one?
    Could it be a 32 bit/64 bit issue?

Angry Re: Media Player control XP and Win 7

I'm having a similar problem using WMP to play a DVD.
    Works fine on XP, but on Win 7 - often crashes - no error messages.
    It seems to use media player 12 on Win 7 and 11 on XP - going by the look of the interfaces. Been looking for a solution for ages but no joy yet!

King of sapila

maybe try it after you download some codecs for WMP10?
    I was able to play the newest format on WMP6 with XP.
    Slow as hell.

YWLMB: Is your Windows 7 computer 64 bit and your Windows XP computer 32 bit? I'm assuming so from your post (#3) saying a 32/64 bit issue. It might be; try compiling your application to x86 instead of AnyCPU.

I'm using VB6 on XP and there is no x86 option for compiling - I'm trying to run the exe on Win7 32bit, that's where I'm getting the problems.