Thread: Would this be an incrorrect use of WCF

Frenzied Member

Would this be an incrorrect use of WCF

Hullo ladles and gentle-spoons,

I am working on a very (very) light blog engine for my silverlight site. My concern is that their could be a large cost in processing/requests for articles on the client so I would like to move the "heavy lifting" to the server.

Essentially I would like my blog engine to serve up a "page" using some sort of request service. I haven't looked to much into WCF (currently I am) but it seems to fit my needs.

Is this the sort of information that WCF should pass about or is it more like simple messages, etc that it is used for?

Re: Would this be an incrorrect use of WCF

It can pass what you need it to... I've used it (in the past - as in a former life) to pass simple messages around that contained an Identifier and a single piece of data, to a complex business object, to interacting with BizTalk Server...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Cool, it sounds like the most logical way of sending data, their wont be enough posts to justify having a full blown db so the server will basically read an xml file, convert it and send the conversion as an object to the silverlight client.

Yep, WCF would be my weapon of choice for this one
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

Frenzied Member

Reading about it now, why does web stuff always have to be so complicated