dcsimg

Thread: Inventory System

Inventory System

Hey everyone!

Forgive me (as well as notify me) if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure

if it should go here or the database part. For class we must create a simple

program in which we have an inventory system for a lemonade stand. He told

us to use text files. I did so, but now I want to expand on that and create

an even better program. I want to create a database (local) and use that to

store information. What should I use (Microsoft SQL, SQL compact, etc) and

do you know where I can learn how to use that stuff? I do love free tutorials

(text or video, doesn't matter) and any help would be great. I even welcome

personal opinions!

Thanks guys.

Ben

Edit: I think I will attached the source code for the completed program I did for class. You will have to create the needed text files in the C:\ or change it to a location you want. I didn't have it create text files automatically.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cyberflyz; May 16th, 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Inventory System

SQL Server Express will certainly do the job, but it does require that a server be installed. If you want to avoid that then you can use SQL Server CE or Access. SQL Server Express and CE are fully integrated into VS, while Access would require the Access application to be installed.

You can check out the Database FAQ link in my signature for some local ADO.NET resources. The MSDN Data Walkthroughs and How Do I Video links would also be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    SQL Server Express will certainly do the job, but it does require that a server be installed. If you want to avoid that then you can use SQL Server CE or Access. SQL Server Express and CE are fully integrated into VS, while Access would require the Access application to be installed.

You can check out the Database FAQ link in my signature for some local ADO.NET resources. The MSDN Data Walkthroughs and How Do I Video links would also be useful.
    Wow, every time I need help you always have great, helpful answers! Jmcilhinney, you the man! I do have one last question about this.

I don't know much about databases but I do have a server running Mysql. My guess is MS Sql is different. So would you suggest that I use MySql or still go with MS Sql?
    ~We must seek knowledge if we are to live life to the fullest.

MySQL and SQL Server will do essentially the same job. SQL Server Express can be a little easier to work with because of the fact that it's integrated into VS. It's also a bit lighter weight for local databases, plus deployment can be easier. Either will work though, and you can download an ADO.NET provider from MySQL which improves its integration with VS.

So, MSDN will have good information about Sql Express?

I think I will go with what you say and go with Sql Express. You obviously know what your talking about.

Thank you very much.
    ~We must seek knowledge if we are to live life to the fullest.