Thread: VB6 to REALbasic

Question VB6 to REALbasic

Hello everyone,

Is there a program that can convert my vb6 projects to REALbasic projects ?
    MOBO: Asrock X58 Extreme
    CPU : Core i7 950 @ 3.07Ghz
    Ram : 8GB
    Hard Drive : 1.5 TB (1 TB, 500GB)
    Graphics : ATI Radeon HD 5670
    Dual Boot : Windows XP Home, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: VB6 to REALbasic

You are kidding, right?

First, I sincerly hope not.
    Second, why would you ever want to do that?

I got this from another site:
    REALbasic and Visual Basic use the BASIC language and have 'basic' in their name but, in reality, have very little in common. Things such as file I/O and database access are wildly different between the two. It takes a skilled developer to accurately convert from Visual Basic to REALbasic. Don't be fooled by free and inexpensive 'converter' applications-they don't work!

Converting from VB6 to REALbasic should be a no-brainer, right? Wrong. While they both have basic in the name, they really are completely separate languages, each with their own set of peculiarities. Yes, there are many similarities between the languages but that doesn’t mean it’s easy.

REAL Software has had the Visual Basic Project Converter (VBPC) for a while and was last updated in early 2005. It’s free for download. I would recommend that you don’t even bother – you’re better off converting by hand.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

I thought these programs were nearly the same. However, your post proves something diferrent. So, I will try to manually convert my projects to REALbasic. I will try to use this project converter, though.

Can you give me a link for Visual Basic Project Converter or another VB code converting program ?
    EDIT: I can't find it ! Does it even exist ?
    Last edited by Arispan; May 13th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Because I need to migrate from VB6 to REALbasic and I need a project-coonverting program.

I found this from the RealBASIC's website:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/vbdevelopers.php
    Port Your Code

Porting your applications from Visual Basic to REAL Studio is a straightforward process. REAL Software provides a Visual Basic Migration Assistant that will help you in the process. Most developers find that their projects port in hours or days, rather than weeks or months required in other environments.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arispan View Post
    Because I need to migrate from VB6 to REALbasic and I need a project-coonverting program.
    Why???

I know this isn't helping the cause, but this astounds me.

I checked into real basic last yr and found this info:
    Cannot use ocx's
    does not have a Msflexgrid replacement(maybe 3rd party)
    The me keyword is used in a different context.
    Did not do With, End With
    Hopefully things have changed
    Waiting for a full featured smart phone with out marrying a provider
    Go Android
    Go raiders

I tried RealBasic 7.0 a few months ago, with all of the vb6, vbscript, vba and vb.net knowledge I have... I couldn't get a single window to open or a single program to run in RealBasic, so I un-installed it and haven't looked back since.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I tried RealBasic 7.0 a few months ago, with all of the vb6, vbscript, vba and vb.net knowledge I have... I couldn't get a single window to open or a single program to run in RealBasic, so I un-installed it and haven't looked back since.
    Wow, and I though my impression of the product was harsh!

I'm sure REALBasic is great... for what it is. It just isn't any VB6.

Remember that Windows and VB have sort of "grown up together" and thus have a lot of things in common. I think it's also helped a lot that Windows scripting (typically VBScript) can also share a lot of the COM interfaces VB6 uses, as can Office/VBA.

REALBasic had some different goals. The main one is probably that it has to work on a Mac but also be able to work on Windows or Linux without heavy source-level tweaking effort. I'm not sure most VBers appreciate how much in VB is just an easier to use wrapper over Windows pieces and parts.

This is probably why there really isn't a good VB6 alternative out there, and why VB.Net is probably as close as you'll ever get. The .Net Framework is ultimately built on top of the same Windows foundations. One advantage there is that a conscious effort was made to divide things at a certain layer, making the portable Mono framework and runtime possible.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    I had no problem using RB - I wanted to port one of my windows apps into Linux and MacOS and had no problem doing that.

The ability to make an application for operating systems other that Windows is the only reason I'd consider RB.

As akhileshbc said, don't expect much help from the project converter - waste of time trying it on anything but the simplest of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    I had no problem using RB - I wanted to port one of my windows apps into Linux and MacOS and had no problem doing that.

The ability to make an application for operating systems other that Windows is the only reason I'd consider RB.
    This is why I started using rb. I wanted apps that will work on windows, linux and mac os.

Porting your applications from Visual Basic to REAL Studio is a straightforward process. REAL Software provides a Visual Basic Migration Assistant that will help you in the process. Most developers find that their projects port in hours or days, rather than weeks or months required in other environments.
    When I open my vb6 projects with rb I get an error. Is Visual Basic Migration Assistant a different product ?